Old 15-08-2007, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Faulty lawnmower engine

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 06:52:33 -0700, pete wrote:

The engine on my Suffolk Punch 35,a 4 stroke petrol model causing
problems.With a pull cord start,it starts OK and then runs for about 2
minutes and then dies.After a delay,it starts up again and then dies.
I have cleaned the air filter and renewed the spark plug to no
avail.Anyone any suggestions please ?

Is the hole in the filler cap blocked?
--

Martin

Petrol starvation.

Not sufficient petrol getting through because as Martin says the filler
cap blocked and air cannot replace petrol drawn off at the same rate.

Mike

I once had a car that behaved like that but more like after an hour or so
driving. I finally twigged what the cause was when filling it up with petrol
one day. When I took off the petrol cap there was a big "whoosh" as air
rushed into the vacuum in the tank. A small hole drilled in the cap and
problem solved.

David.