Old 15-08-2007, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Faulty lawnmower engine

The engine on my Suffolk Punch 35,a 4 stroke petrol model causing
problems.With a pull cord start,it starts OK and then runs for about 2
minutes and then dies.After a delay,it starts up again and then dies.
I have cleaned the air filter and renewed the spark plug to no
avail.Anyone any suggestions please ?

Old 15-08-2007, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 06:52:33 -0700, pete wrote:

The engine on my Suffolk Punch 35,a 4 stroke petrol model causing
problems.With a pull cord start,it starts OK and then runs for about 2
minutes and then dies.After a delay,it starts up again and then dies.
I have cleaned the air filter and renewed the spark plug to no
avail.Anyone any suggestions please ?

Is the hole in the filler cap blocked?
--

Martin

Petrol starvation.

Not sufficient petrol getting through because as Martin says the filler cap
blocked and air cannot replace petrol drawn off at the same rate.

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 15-08-2007, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 06:52:33 -0700, pete wrote:

The engine on my Suffolk Punch 35,a 4 stroke petrol model causing
problems.With a pull cord start,it starts OK and then runs for about 2
minutes and then dies.After a delay,it starts up again and then dies.
I have cleaned the air filter and renewed the spark plug to no
avail.Anyone any suggestions please ?

Is the hole in the filler cap blocked?
--

Martin

Petrol starvation.

Not sufficient petrol getting through because as Martin says the filler
cap blocked and air cannot replace petrol drawn off at the same rate.

Mike

I once had a car that behaved like that but more like after an hour or so
driving. I finally twigged what the cause was when filling it up with petrol
one day. When I took off the petrol cap there was a big "whoosh" as air
rushed into the vacuum in the tank. A small hole drilled in the cap and
problem solved.

David.

Old 15-08-2007, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Blocked fuel filter, sticking float??
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 15-08-2007, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Aug, 18:44, "BoyPete" wrote:
Blocked fuel filter, sticking float??

All of the above comments, plus:
blocked air filter
exhaust valve sticking (could be inlet, but never has been in my
experience) when engine warms up - result of badly needing oil.

Mixture out of adjustment.

But I'd go with the fuel starvation route first.