Old 15-08-2007, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
MVD MVD is offline

Default I knew better, but...

On Aug 15, 3:06 pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"MVD" wrote in message
groups.com...
When I bought my house there was a 5' x 12' fenced area that was used
for the pervious owner's dog. There was no grass in the area and the
ground was covered with rock. Around the fenced area were large
bushes that I believe were dog woods. I wasn't really happy with this
section of the yard, so I took out the fence, removed most of the dog
woods and got the ground ready for grass.
I knew it was the wrong time of year to plant grass, but I was
impatient so I seeded it anyway. That was July 4. The grass came up
and looked nice, but so did the weeds. I now have a terrible weed
problem that I'm not sure how to solve. I'm thinking of buying some
weed killer to spray over the area but I don't know what would work
best. Any suggestions on a good product for that purpose?

It's a small area. Weed it by hand for now, so it's ready for seeding at
the
proper time. Then, take care of the area BY THE BOOK, perfectly. The
grass
will eventually dominate.

By the way, without knowing what weeds you're dealing with, it's hard to
say
how bad they are. I have lots of purslane in my veg garden, and Ileave it
in
place until I need to use the area. It spreads like a mat, and chokes out
other weeds. It pulls out very easily, and the soil underneath is in
beautiful shape. I recently found out that it's great in salads, and
contains all sorts of vitamins & minerals.

Others are nasty, and I remove them ASAP. Get to know your weeds.

Sound Advice!

Bill who loves wild purslane and has also purchased seed.

Clover, too. It quickly covers areas of my flower garden where I've cleared
weeds, but waited too long to plant something. It pulls out easily the day
after watering or rain, and the soil underneath is like a dream.

I just knew we'd get smarter, eventually.
--
FB - FFF

Billyhttp://angryarab.blogspot.com/- Hide quoted text -

So no one would hit the weeds with some kind of weed killer like weed-
be-gone or something like that? I understand what you're saying about
the grass eventually chocking out the weeds, but right now it looks
like the other way around. That's what worries me.
Another question: If I decide not to use the weed killer, could I cut
the grass and weeds really short in early Sept., overseed and then
spread a little top soil over the whole business? Would that process
work to get rid of some of the weeds.