Old 16-08-2007, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Plant ID welcomed

Sacha wrote:

...... Even though I'll be wrong. ;-) I looked at
Ruspolia and while I'd love to get it, that doesn't look right, either.

It doesn't because R. hypercrateriformis has somewhat bicoloured
flowers and if you Google it, you could easily allow that to dissuade
you. I need to look at the structure of the inflorescence and the
flower before I can be sure. What complicates matters is that
Ruspolia easily interbreeds with Ruttya a closely allied genus and
when that happens, all manner of dissimilarities can arise. I had a
very charming pink hybrid sent to me by Tim Longville about 8 years
ago and apart from the colour and its looser inflorescence, it could
have easily been your plant. Sadly, I lost it a couple of years later
due to excessive winter wet so I don't have a direct comparison.

BTW, could you have a look at the Noisy Neighbours thread started by Barb
who is having neighbouring parrot problems? You may be able to cast some
light there.

I saw that, but decided to leave it. Either the owner/s of the
cockatoo is failing to meet his/her/their obligations in terms of
providing ample distraction for the bird (thereby preventing much of
the yelling) or the complainant is being excessively complaining about
'noises backstage' and should realise that no-one has an absolute
right to uninterrupted quiet when out of doors. Can't make my mind
up, but that tit who inferred a shotgun response needs to understand
that such birds are extremely valuable and despite an inevitable
cruelty prosecution, subsequent court claims for a grand or two or
more in damages would be almost certain to succeed.

Both of my parrots yell from time to time, usually very loudly and at
each other, but when they are outside they are too pre-occupied with
other flying things including clouds scudding past to get around to
ripping up the neighbourhood. Occasionally when the windows are open,
the cockatoo's yells can be heard right across the village. That's
when I know it's time to go home. No-one complains and the only time
the calls have ever been mentioned, it has been because of their
raucous, but decidedly exotic nature. I have over 30 species of true
palms growing here plus countless other exotic plants so the locals
almost expect a suitable 'soundtrack' to go with them.