Old 15-08-2007, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID welcomed

Ray has propagated dozens of these and can't remember what they are! Either
he was given one, took some cuttings from somewhere - who knows. To me, it
looks a bit like a Clerodendron but I'm almost certainly wrong. Anyone who
recognises it will be a star!
http://i17.tinypic.com/549t7ch.jpg[/IMG]

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-08-2007, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

It does have the look of Clerodendron about it, but something keeps
telling me that it is more likely to be in the Acanthaceae than the
Verbenaceae. As soon as I saw the pic, my instincts were that it is
possibly a form of Ruspolia hypocrateriformis, although it certainly
isn't that species. I'll have to look at it first hand.

Old 15-08-2007, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/8/07 19:07, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

It does have the look of Clerodendron about it, but something keeps
telling me that it is more likely to be in the Acanthaceae than the
Verbenaceae. As soon as I saw the pic, my instincts were that it is
possibly a form of Ruspolia hypocrateriformis, although it certainly
isn't that species. I'll have to look at it first hand.

Chocolate cake tomorrow? We're here all day. ;-))

Old 16-08-2007, 03:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:
.....my instincts were that it is
possibly a form of Ruspolia hypocrateriformis, although it certainly
isn't that species. I'll have to look at it first hand.

Chocolate cake tomorrow? We're here all day.

I wish! Work dictates I'm afraid so I don't get free till the
weekend.

Old 16-08-2007, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Ray has propagated dozens of these and can't remember what they are!

Either
he was given one, took some cuttings from somewhere - who knows. To me,

it
looks a bit like a Clerodendron but I'm almost certainly wrong. Anyone

who
recognises it will be a star!
http://i17.tinypic.com/549t7ch.jpg[/IMG]

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

At first glance it does look like clereodendron splendens but there do not
seem to be the right amount of stamens sticking out. How tender is it?
(mentally working out where one could be squeezed in!)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 16-08-2007, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/8/07 08:41, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Ray has propagated dozens of these and can't remember what they are!

Either
he was given one, took some cuttings from somewhere - who knows. To me,

it
looks a bit like a Clerodendron but I'm almost certainly wrong. Anyone

who
recognises it will be a star!
http://i17.tinypic.com/549t7ch.jpg[/IMG]

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

At first glance it does look like clereodendron splendens but there do not
seem to be the right amount of stamens sticking out. How tender is it?
(mentally working out where one could be squeezed in!)

No idea, Charlie but I'll ask Ray to send you one. And thank you for the
Rhamnus seeds. The second consignment did arrive this time, while we were
away! I don't *think* C. splendens looks quite right but it's very close.
Again, I'll check with Ray. Shame he can't remember how he got hold of it.
;-)

Old 16-08-2007, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/8/07 03:01, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
.....my instincts were that it is
possibly a form of Ruspolia hypocrateriformis, although it certainly
isn't that species. I'll have to look at it first hand.

Chocolate cake tomorrow? We're here all day.

I wish! Work dictates I'm afraid so I don't get free till the
weekend.

We'll be here if you have time to drop in for lunch or a cream tea.

Old 16-08-2007, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:

I wish! Work dictates I'm afraid so I don't get free till the
weekend.

We'll be here if you have time to drop in for lunch or a cream tea.

Well then, it would be rude not to. It isn't Clerodendron splendens -
the formation of the raceme is wrong and as Charlie mentions, the
stamens are wrong. No, I'll stick with my original thought that it is
one of the Acanthus family. Until the weekend that is...

Old 16-08-2007, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/8/07 18:38, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

I wish! Work dictates I'm afraid so I don't get free till the
weekend.

We'll be here if you have time to drop in for lunch or a cream tea.

Well then, it would be rude not to. It isn't Clerodendron splendens -
the formation of the raceme is wrong and as Charlie mentions, the
stamens are wrong. No, I'll stick with my original thought that it is
one of the Acanthus family. Until the weekend that is...

No, it's not C. splendens and anyway it's bushy not climbing - my fault for
not being more specific in the first place. BTW, we have C. fragrans if
Charlie or you are interested in that when Raymond props it.
The problem with the Clerodendrums, as I now discover I'm supposed to call
them, is that the variation is simply enormous but you'll see why this makes
me think it's of that family. Even though I'll be wrong. ;-) I looked at
Ruspolia and while I'd love to get it, that doesn't look right, either.
BTW, could you have a look at the Noisy Neighbours thread started by Barb
who is having neighbouring parrot problems? You may be able to cast some
light there.

Old 16-08-2007, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:

...... Even though I'll be wrong. ;-) I looked at
Ruspolia and while I'd love to get it, that doesn't look right, either.

It doesn't because R. hypercrateriformis has somewhat bicoloured
flowers and if you Google it, you could easily allow that to dissuade
you. I need to look at the structure of the inflorescence and the
flower before I can be sure. What complicates matters is that
Ruspolia easily interbreeds with Ruttya a closely allied genus and
when that happens, all manner of dissimilarities can arise. I had a
very charming pink hybrid sent to me by Tim Longville about 8 years
ago and apart from the colour and its looser inflorescence, it could
have easily been your plant. Sadly, I lost it a couple of years later
due to excessive winter wet so I don't have a direct comparison.

BTW, could you have a look at the Noisy Neighbours thread started by Barb
who is having neighbouring parrot problems? You may be able to cast some
light there.

I saw that, but decided to leave it. Either the owner/s of the
cockatoo is failing to meet his/her/their obligations in terms of
providing ample distraction for the bird (thereby preventing much of
the yelling) or the complainant is being excessively complaining about
'noises backstage' and should realise that no-one has an absolute
right to uninterrupted quiet when out of doors. Can't make my mind
up, but that tit who inferred a shotgun response needs to understand
that such birds are extremely valuable and despite an inevitable
cruelty prosecution, subsequent court claims for a grand or two or
more in damages would be almost certain to succeed.

Both of my parrots yell from time to time, usually very loudly and at
each other, but when they are outside they are too pre-occupied with
other flying things including clouds scudding past to get around to
ripping up the neighbourhood. Occasionally when the windows are open,
the cockatoo's yells can be heard right across the village. That's
when I know it's time to go home. No-one complains and the only time
the calls have ever been mentioned, it has been because of their
raucous, but decidedly exotic nature. I have over 30 species of true
palms growing here plus countless other exotic plants so the locals
almost expect a suitable 'soundtrack' to go with them.

Old 17-08-2007, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/8/07 23:51, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

...... Even though I'll be wrong. ;-) I looked at
Ruspolia and while I'd love to get it, that doesn't look right, either.

It doesn't because R. hypercrateriformis has somewhat bicoloured
flowers and if you Google it, you could easily allow that to dissuade
you. I need to look at the structure of the inflorescence and the
flower before I can be sure. What complicates matters is that
Ruspolia easily interbreeds with Ruttya a closely allied genus and
when that happens, all manner of dissimilarities can arise. I had a
very charming pink hybrid sent to me by Tim Longville about 8 years
ago and apart from the colour and its looser inflorescence, it could
have easily been your plant. Sadly, I lost it a couple of years later
due to excessive winter wet so I don't have a direct comparison.

I'll forward this pic to Tim, as well and see what your combined talents
make of it! Some of the young plants Ray propagated are in bud and the buds
are cone-shaped, I suppose and look a bit spiky. But you'll see it for
yourself when you come over.

BTW, could you have a look at the Noisy Neighbours thread started by Barb
who is having neighbouring parrot problems? You may be able to cast some
light there.

I saw that, but decided to leave it. Either the owner/s of the
cockatoo is failing to meet his/her/their obligations in terms of
providing ample distraction for the bird (thereby preventing much of
the yelling) or the complainant is being excessively complaining about
'noises backstage' and should realise that no-one has an absolute
right to uninterrupted quiet when out of doors. Can't make my mind
up, but that tit who inferred a shotgun response needs to understand
that such birds are extremely valuable and despite an inevitable
cruelty prosecution, subsequent court claims for a grand or two or
more in damages would be almost certain to succeed.

I think and hope that was a facetious remark but if the bird is going on and
on, it must be as irritating as a constantly barking dog. It does sound as
if the owners don't understand the needs of the poor creature.

Both of my parrots yell from time to time, usually very loudly and at
each other, but when they are outside they are too pre-occupied with
other flying things including clouds scudding past to get around to
ripping up the neighbourhood. Occasionally when the windows are open,
the cockatoo's yells can be heard right across the village. That's
when I know it's time to go home. No-one complains and the only time
the calls have ever been mentioned, it has been because of their
raucous, but decidedly exotic nature. I have over 30 species of true
palms growing here plus countless other exotic plants so the locals
almost expect a suitable 'soundtrack' to go with them.

You'll have to tape record them and play the tape at regular intervals to
add that jungly feel to the neighbourhood when the birds are having a quiet
phase. And speaking of birds, there is a sudden flurry of green finches and
sparrows on the feeder outside my study window, all of them trying to
frighten the others off it. As there are 4 or 5 footholds I don't know why
they have to be so aggressive about achieving sole possession!