Old 17-08-2007, 07:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Mottled leaf paphs.

Great! Thanks Tennis!

"tenman" wrote in message
K Barrett wrote:
I have a Paph Magic Lantern I'd dearly love to see bloom once before I
die. I bloomed it last in 1996 - 7, somewhere in there...

It grows but doesn't bloom. I think I saw a bud last year but I top
watered and it damped off. Leaf span is about 5 inches, tip to tip. It
sits relatively close to the swamp cooler, so highs may be about 80-85,
lows about 60 at night in summer to 52-55 in winter. Cattleya light.
I've been good about feeding and watering weakly weekly this year.
Humidity 50-70%. Evenly moist mostly. Potted in fine bark (3:1, bark: #3
perlite) in plastic pot, not over potted. I repotted in April, roots had
good growing tips. (yellow? I htink they were yellow but don't quote
me.)

Magic Lantern is micranthum x delenatii

K Barrett

What am I doing wrong?

Get it cold. 45-40 degrees F. One of our speakers last year was discussing
his greenhouse, which he keeps at about 40 degree nights in the winter for
his disas and dormant terrestrials. He mentioned that he does have some
parvi paphs - which bud and bloom for him as a result of his cold nights.
I've tried it and had some success. I also believe a number of them have a
drier winter - not dry like a catasetum of course but not as wet as the
rest of the year. Try getting them cold and not as wet, then when watering
increases in the late winter/early spring, maybe you'll get lucky and get
a flower spike.