Old 17-08-2007, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Mottled leaf paphs.

Well, that's what I tought I was doing.... these little guys seems to
vote with their blooms.... Maybe next year.

Kenni Judd wrote:
We don't do anything special for ours, and they certainly don't get any 40F
nights, because we heat to 52F (the current compromise between leaf drop on
the vandas and the gas bill) on the few nights a year that we do have to
heat.

They do get a drier winter, but only because everything else in the
shadehouse does, too, we don't do enough of them to fill a full watering
zone.

They don't bloom as often for us as they do for the Hawaiians, but we
generally do get at least once, and sometimes 2x/year. Kenni

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

I have a Paph Magic Lantern I'd dearly love to see bloom once before I die.
I bloomed it last in 1996 - 7, somewhere in there...

It grows but doesn't bloom. I think I saw a bud last year but I top
watered and it damped off. Leaf span is about 5 inches, tip to tip. It
sits relatively close to the swamp cooler, so highs may be about 80-85,
lows about 60 at night in summer to 52-55 in winter. Cattleya light.
I've been good about feeding and watering weakly weekly this year.
Humidity 50-70%. Evenly moist mostly. Potted in fine bark (3:1, bark: #3
perlite) in plastic pot, not over potted. I repotted in April, roots had
good growing tips. (yellow? I htink they were yellow but don't quote me.)

Magic Lantern is micranthum x delenatii

K Barrett

What am I doing wrong?