Old 18-08-2007, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Please help. I need a special plant

someone writes

"MickKnipfler" wrote in message

I don't know if any of you can help: As my mother passed away, I wanted
to bury her ashes in my garden and plant a tree/shrub in memory of her.
The requirements are as follows:

Grows no more than about 3m high
Easily propogated (so that my brother and sister can have offspring)
preferably by layering
Possible to grow in a large pot
Preferably is attractive on Mum's burthday (20 April)

If you could recommend something suitable, I'd appreciate it. We are
in Kent (SE England)

I think it was Shakespeare's Ophelia who said "Rosemary, that's for
remembrance" and I have come across other sayings that connect rosemary with
love and remembrance. I have a friend who died and I always take a rosemary
sprig and place it on her grave on the anniversary of her death.

Google for "rosemary remembrance".

Only grows to about 1m, easily propagated, never tried it in a pot,
should be in flower on Apr 20 (mine is), and pleasantly scented leaves
all the year round.

Doesn't like sogginess over winter, can pack up unexpectedly after a few
years, so be prepared always to have some cuttings on the go, and not to
feel morbid if the plant on the grave snuffs it.
--
Kay