Old 17-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Registered User

Default Please help. I need a special plant

I don't know if any of you can help: As my mother passed away, I wanted to bury her ashes in my garden and plant a tree/shrub in memory of her. The requirements are as follows:

Grows no more than about 3m high
Easily propogated (so that my brother and sister can have offspring) preferably by layering
Possible to grow in a large pot
Preferably is attractive on Mum's burthday (20 April)

If you could recommend something suitable, I'd appreciate it. We are in Kent (SE England)
Old 18-08-2007, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MickKnipfler" wrote in
message ...

--
MickKnipfler

Mick,

Azaleas 'The Royalty of the garden' http://tinyurl.com/33hvkc quickly
comes to mind. There is an abundance of brilliant colours
http://tinyurl.com/2nfmyn and most bloom from mid-April to mid-May and
the blooms last for one to two weeks. Also, they can be layered quite
effectively. http://tinyurl.com/2y9fqy

Azaleas require an acid soil http://www.rhododendron.org/soil.htm and
they are a very long lived plant when requirements are met.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 18-08-2007, 01:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MickKnipfler" wrote in message

I don't know if any of you can help: As my mother passed away, I wanted
to bury her ashes in my garden and plant a tree/shrub in memory of her.
The requirements are as follows:

Grows no more than about 3m high
Easily propogated (so that my brother and sister can have offspring)
preferably by layering
Possible to grow in a large pot
Preferably is attractive on Mum's burthday (20 April)

If you could recommend something suitable, I'd appreciate it. We are
in Kent (SE England)

I think it was Shakespeare's Ophelia who said "Rosemary, that's for
remembrance" and I have come across other sayings that connect rosemary with
love and remembrance. I have a friend who died and I always take a rosemary
sprig and place it on her grave on the anniversary of her death.

Google for "rosemary remembrance".

HTH

someone

Old 18-08-2007, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

someone writes

[...]

Only grows to about 1m, easily propagated, never tried it in a pot,
should be in flower on Apr 20 (mine is), and pleasantly scented leaves
all the year round.

Doesn't like sogginess over winter, can pack up unexpectedly after a few
years, so be prepared always to have some cuttings on the go, and not to
feel morbid if the plant on the grave snuffs it.
--
Kay
Old 18-08-2007, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MickKnipfler"wrote ...

I don't know if any of you can help: As my mother passed away, I wanted
to bury her ashes in my garden and plant a tree/shrub in memory of her.
The requirements are as follows:

Grows no more than about 3m high
Easily propogated (so that my brother and sister can have offspring)
preferably by layering
Possible to grow in a large pot
Preferably is attractive on Mum's burthday (20 April)

If you could recommend something suitable, I'd appreciate it. We are
in Kent (SE England)

How about Acacia dealbata, known as Mimosa, whilst it will grow into a fine
large tree if planted in the ground (we have one near here) you can keep it
small in a pot and it should be in flower about the right time. Might need a
S. facing wall if your garden is exposed and will certainly need a little
protection whilst young, but in a pot it can be moved.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden