Old 19-08-2007, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Vanini John Vanini is offline

Default Growing Leeks - which dressing?

Thanks Bob,

You've do what I have done over the past two years so, unless I get a very
good reason to do otherwise, will do the same again.

Regards,

John

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"John Vanini" wrote ..
I'm growing leeks on my allotment and have been told to give them a heavy
top dressing of blood, fish and bone this month.
Someone else on the allotment has told me to use Sulphate of Ammonia
instead.
As I normally don't put any dressing on (I just mulch and/or draw the
soil up around the stems) is there anyone who has experience of growing
leeks and can advise me, please, which, if either, I should do?

We have never given our Leeks any special fertilizer other than a handful
of chicken pellets thrown along the row and always have a good supply
through the winter.
If you wanted to show them that would be a different matter.
Watch out for the Leek Moth, it's spreading up the country and really does
make a mess of your young leeks, they will eventually grow through the
attack although will be knocked back somewhat.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden