Old 19-08-2007, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing Leeks - which dressing?

I'm growing leeks on my allotment and have been told to give them a heavy
top dressing of blood, fish and bone this month.

Someone else on the allotment has told me to use Sulphate of Ammonia
instead.

As I normally don't put any dressing on (I just mulch and/or draw the soil
up around the stems) is there anyone who has experience of growing leeks and
can advise me, please, which, if either, I should do?

Regards,

John

Old 19-08-2007, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote ..
I'm growing leeks on my allotment and have been told to give them a heavy
top dressing of blood, fish and bone this month.
Someone else on the allotment has told me to use Sulphate of Ammonia
instead.
As I normally don't put any dressing on (I just mulch and/or draw the soil
up around the stems) is there anyone who has experience of growing leeks
and can advise me, please, which, if either, I should do?

We have never given our Leeks any special fertilizer other than a handful of
chicken pellets thrown along the row and always have a good supply through
the winter.
If you wanted to show them that would be a different matter.
Watch out for the Leek Moth, it's spreading up the country and really does
make a mess of your young leeks, they will eventually grow through the
attack although will be knocked back somewhat.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-08-2007, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Bob,

You've do what I have done over the past two years so, unless I get a very
good reason to do otherwise, will do the same again.

Regards,

John

"John Vanini" wrote ..

Old 19-08-2007, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message
I'm growing leeks on my allotment and have been told to give them a heavy
top dressing of blood, fish and bone this month.

Someone else on the allotment has told me to use Sulphate of Ammonia
instead.
As I normally don't put any dressing on (I just mulch and/or draw the soil
up around the stems) is there anyone who has experience of growing leeks
and can advise me, please, which, if either, I should do?
Regards, John

Sorry John, but cannot resist suggesting French or Thousand Island......
:~))
Jenny

Old 19-08-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Aug, 16:54, "JennyC" wrote:
Sorry John, but cannot resist suggesting French or Thousand Island......
:~))

LOL! You beat me to it. Bechamel surely would be nice too ;o)

Old 19-08-2007, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 19 Aug, 16:54, "JennyC" wrote:
Sorry John, but cannot resist suggesting French or Thousand Island......
:~))

LOL! You beat me to it. Bechamel surely would be nice too ;o)

Agreed, but with ham or bacon as well.............
Jenny

Old 19-08-2007, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I knew I should have thought more about that subject line! I had thought of,
but luckily rejected, "How do I dress my Leeks?" when I realised how
dangerous that would be (lol)!

Sorry both, but I would actually go for a Mornay sauce, because Becahamel,
Thousand Island, and French dressing just don't seem to suit my taste buds!

I, also, think that hickory smoked bacon would be best, with the rind left
on and the rashers cooked so that the fat is just slighty crispy. Then the
leeks added, with a Mornay sauce poured over and a couple of fried eggs
placed gently on the side of the plate! Finally, a dusting of black pepper
over the eggs and the sauce!

Now, where can I get enough Mornay sauce to top dress my raised bed?

The trouble is, there are too many comedians in this newsgroup, it seems to
me (lol)!!!!

Thanks Jenny and La Puce and, if I may say so, it seems that, in answer to
my question, I got a load of old sauce (lol) - but I enjoyed it!

Regards,

John

"JennyC" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 20-08-2007, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote

I, also, think that hickory smoked bacon would be best, with the rind left
on and the rashers cooked so that the fat is just slighty crispy. Then the
leeks added, with a Mornay sauce poured over and a couple of fried eggs
placed gently on the side of the plate! Finally, a dusting of black pepper
over the eggs and the sauce!

Drool................................:~))

The trouble is, there are too many comedians in this newsgroup, it seems
to me (lol)!!!! Thanks Jenny and La Puce and, if I may say so, it seems
that, in answer to my question, I got a load of old sauce (lol) - but I
enjoyed it!

Don't get in a pickle over it John :~)

Jenny

Old 22-08-2007, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have returned after a period of soul-searching (I didn't find it, if
anyone is interested, and my wife doubts that I ever had one but I looked
high and low, anyway - mainly low because I can't stand heights)

I promise not to get in a pickle, JennyC, because I don't relish it! However
I'm still trying to find a good way of dealing with my leeks. Someone has
suggested that a plaster over the top might help and another talked about
some dutch boy and a finger - then he said damn and I put the 'phone down.
I'll not talk to anyone who can't keep a civil tongue in his head.

I'll also not repeat what it was I think he said as I'm sure you're both too
delicately minded.

If I knew what "ecologically" meant, Martin, I might take offence and -
well, do something about it - like spit! I thought of throwing myself on the
floor in a tantrum but, knowing my luck, I probably miss.

As a matter of interest, I notice that there's a strong discussion (is that
the word?) going on elsewhere in this group!! It seems that some people
think that global warming can be solved by shouting rude words at each other
and calling each other names - rather, in fact, like being back in the third
form! No wonder governments can never seem to come to an agreement - they
don't know the right words! But for goodness sake, JennyC and Martin and
anyone else listening), don't tell the others that we're here! Keep your
heads down! Avoid the flak, at all costs.

Thanks for your support, both, I shall wear it constantly!

Finally, if there's anyone really interested, I shall just sprinkle some
"Growmore" around my leeks and put a layer of compost on to stop the soil
drying out (lol)!!!!!!

Kindest regards,

John

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:02:55 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

"John Vanini" wrote

I, also, think that hickory smoked bacon would be best, with the rind
left
on and the rashers cooked so that the fat is just slighty crispy. Then
the
leeks added, with a Mornay sauce poured over and a couple of fried eggs
placed gently on the side of the plate! Finally, a dusting of black
pepper
over the eggs and the sauce!

Drool................................:~))

The trouble is, there are too many comedians in this newsgroup, it seems
to me (lol)!!!! Thanks Jenny and La Puce and, if I may say so, it seems
that, in answer to my question, I got a load of old sauce (lol) - but I
enjoyed it!

Don't get in a pickle over it John :~)

We are looking for an ecologically produced vinegar for the crocus and
gherkin
pickles.
--

Martin