Old 02-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] ZELKOVA QUESTION

My Zelkova came from its winter habitat with leaves breaking
and looking fine until this week I see that while leaves are
opening on many brances, there are also many dead twigs.
It has not been bothered by the colder two winters before this
one, so I am puzzled and the only reference I can find that
offers some help is the possibility that "it needs light in
the winter" which it did not have much of this year.
Is this a condition anyone can enlighten me further on?

Deciduous trees don't need light.

Are the dead twigs grouped together in specific areas of the
tree?

Are they only at tips of branches?

If the first, suspect a root problem, perhaps too wet.

If the second, was the tree exposed to drying wind? I almost
always have twig dieback on my hackberry trees, usually about the
top 1/3 of the branch tips -- so I let the trees get a bit ragged
late in the year. I don't have a Zelkova.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++