Old 02-04-2003, 03:56 PM
David J. Bockman

Default [IBC] ZELKOVA QUESTION

Deciduous trees don't need light. [in winter]

That's not entirely accurate I don't think Jim. Certainly the deciduous tree
lacks the food synthesizing structures (leaves) in winter, but light also
plays a role in other functions of the tree's growth (or lack of
growth)(photomorphogenic response?). It's my understanding that
photoreceptors other than chloroplasts trigger such diverse actions as
initial leaf-out and flowering. These photoreceptors-- most notably and the
only ones I know even a tiny amount about being phytochromes and
cryptochromes-- respond to blue or red ends of the light spectrum.

Peter Adams has long held the anecdotal notion that Chinese Elm, even when
dormant, appreciate bright light or else really fine ramification will be
shed in spring. I'm not aware of any research with regard to Ulmus, but it's
possible that they are especially sensitive to drastic changes in those
wavelengths of light and react accordingly.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --