Old 02-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Andy Rutledge

Default [IBC] ZELKOVA QUESTION

----- Original Message -----
From: "David J. Bockman"
Deciduous trees don't need light. [in winter]

That's not entirely accurate I don't think Jim. ...

snip
Peter Adams has long held the anecdotal notion that Chinese Elm, even when
dormant, appreciate bright light or else really fine ramification will be
shed in spring. I'm not aware of any research with regard to Ulmus, but

it's
possible that they are especially sensitive to drastic changes in those
wavelengths of light and react accordingly
David J. Bockman

---------------------

Years ago, I read this bit from Peter Adams and while I respect him as a
bonsai artist and grower, I've never found any relationship to Chinese elms
kept in darkness in winter and branch/shoot loss. I sometimes keep mine in
my garage in winter for weeks at a time and have never lost any ramification
from them. I would hesitate to put any stock in this theory.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas
www.bunjindesign.com/bonsai/