Old 02-04-2003, 04:20 PM
William Valavanis

Default [IBC] ZELKOVA QUESTION

I disagree.

In my 40 years of growing bonsai I have learned, from practical
experience and higher education, that light is NOT necessary for
dormant bonsai when temperatures are low, (below 30F). I have numerous
masterpiece bonsai as evidence, lots of them with fine, very delicate
twigs. Yes, this even applies to evergreens, both narrow-leaf and
broad-leaf. Many of my students normally burry their small bonsai 100%
in a perlite/peat mixture with great results.

Please note this does NOT apply to areas of the world where there is
not a sustained period of cold (below 30F). If warm temperatures occur,
then light is necessary.

Basically, it it is cold, you don't need light. If it is warm, you need
light.

Hope this helps.

Bill

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++