Old 22-08-2007, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default soil warming cable

"Rocket Ron" wrote in message
. ..
Hi I have a soil warming cable and thermostat which is supposed to be
buried in the earth/sand. However I have noticed that you can now buy a
warming mat which is a mat with the element fixed to it in some way and it
is laid on a block of polystyrene then it is suggested that the mat is
covered in aluminium foil. This would be a better idea for me as I could
just lay my propagators on top of it. So what is this mat made from or
could I just use capillary matting and stitch the cable to it using nylon
thread?
Thanks for any advice, Ron

The heated mat things are a cable stitched to an open mesh of what appears
to be polypropylene.
I guess you could attach your heating cable to anything non flammable and
heat resistant . The main point to remember is that the cable surface should
be open to the heat transfer media which can be aluminium foil/sheet.
The plus point about using sand is that you can use a fairy thick layer and
sink pots/trays deep into it.