Old 22-08-2007, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default soil warming cable

Hi I have a soil warming cable and thermostat which is supposed to be buried
in the earth/sand. However I have noticed that you can now buy a warming mat
which is a mat with the element fixed to it in some way and it is laid on a
block of polystyrene then it is suggested that the mat is covered in
aluminium foil. This would be a better idea for me as I could just lay my
propagators on top of it. So what is this mat made from or could I just use
capillary matting and stitch the cable to it using nylon thread?
Thanks for any advice, Ron

Old 22-08-2007, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rocket Ron" wrote in message
. ..
Hi I have a soil warming cable and thermostat which is supposed to be
buried in the earth/sand. However I have noticed that you can now buy a
warming mat which is a mat with the element fixed to it in some way and it
is laid on a block of polystyrene then it is suggested that the mat is
covered in aluminium foil. This would be a better idea for me as I could
just lay my propagators on top of it. So what is this mat made from or
could I just use capillary matting and stitch the cable to it using nylon
thread?
Thanks for any advice, Ron

The heated mat things are a cable stitched to an open mesh of what appears
to be polypropylene.
I guess you could attach your heating cable to anything non flammable and
heat resistant . The main point to remember is that the cable surface should
be open to the heat transfer media which can be aluminium foil/sheet.
The plus point about using sand is that you can use a fairy thick layer and
sink pots/trays deep into it.

Old 22-08-2007, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rocket Ron" wrote in message
. ..
Hi I have a soil warming cable and thermostat which is supposed to be

buried
in the earth/sand. However I have noticed that you can now buy a warming

mat
which is a mat with the element fixed to it in some way and it is laid on

block of polystyrene then it is suggested that the mat is covered in
aluminium foil. This would be a better idea for me as I could just lay my
propagators on top of it. So what is this mat made from or could I just

use
capillary matting and stitch the cable to it using nylon thread?
Thanks for any advice, Ron

I use the foil covered mats for my propagator as they are a lot lighter and
therefore the benching can be lighter weight.

Sand and cables are cheaper. but can become contaminated with phytophora
fungi.

Using the soil cables without the sand risks overheating them and there will
be insuffient heat spread. (you have to keep the sand damp as well)

It is very important that you cover the foil with a waterproof layer of
polythene as you will find most drinking water is acidic and quickly rots
the foil if it comes in contact with it.

The temperature control on the foil is much better and the electric used is
about 75% of that used for soil cables to acheive the same results.

As you can gather its not a straight choice there are pro's and con's to
both systems, but if like me its on all the time running costs play a bigger
part than start up costs.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk