Old 02-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Paul Taylor

Default correct depth to plant garlic

My gardeneing reference book says plant garlic at a depth of 1 - 2
inches which I have done. After reading a recent garlic related post
where it mentions plant like onions - It made me think that perhaps I
won't get any garlic as I planted mine 1 - 2 inches from the tip of the
garlic.

When my book says plant at 1-2 inches does it mean 1-2 inches down to the
tip of the clove or to the base of the clove - as a clove is about an
inch long this makes a big difference!

Will I get garlic with the cloves being covered by 1 to 2 inches of soil?
They have already sprouted about 1 inch shoots above the soil.

TIA,

PT