Old 02-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Paul Taylor

Default correct depth to plant garlic

My gardeneing reference book says plant garlic at a depth of 1 - 2
inches which I have done. After reading a recent garlic related post
where it mentions plant like onions - It made me think that perhaps I
won't get any garlic as I planted mine 1 - 2 inches from the tip of the
garlic.

When my book says plant at 1-2 inches does it mean 1-2 inches down to the
tip of the clove or to the base of the clove - as a clove is about an
inch long this makes a big difference!

Will I get garlic with the cloves being covered by 1 to 2 inches of soil?
They have already sprouted about 1 inch shoots above the soil.

TIA,

PT
Old 02-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Emrys Davies

'Paul',

It appears that you are doing it about right but this site shows and
tells you exactly how it should be done.

http://www.pallensmith.com/newslette...ws_110802a.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

news

Old 02-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Gary Woods

Paul Taylor wrote:

My gardeneing reference book says plant garlic at a depth of 1 - 2
inches which I have done. After reading a recent garlic related post
where it mentions plant like onions - It made me think that perhaps I
won't get any garlic as I planted mine 1 - 2 inches from the tip of the
garlic.

That's just fine...a Cornell University (U.S. ag) graduate student did an
experiment on garlic planting depth.

If the next summer is going to be very dry, there is some advantage to
planting 3-4 inches deep, because the bulbs can get more moisture.
If the next summer is going to be very wet, 1-2 inch planting gives less
trouble with fungal diseases.
If you can't tell the future, just till up the bed nicely and stick the
cloves in with your fingers a bit below the surface.

My crystal ball is on loan to some politicians at the moment. Here's
hoping it does them more good than it did me.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Paul Taylor
writes
When my book says plant at 1-2 inches does it mean 1-2 inches down to the
tip of the clove or to the base of the clove - as a clove is about an
inch long this makes a big difference!

So that's be 1 inch to the top and 2 inches to the bottom.

Will I get garlic with the cloves being covered by 1 to 2 inches of soil?
They have already sprouted about 1 inch shoots above the soil.

Plants are on the whole fairly easy going, esp. something like garlic,
you are worrying much to much about this. The normal recommendation is
to plant them as you describe, a couple of inches down. I don't think
the precise distance matters, just under the soil, or a few inches they
will probably do just as well.

I just use a trowel, make a little hole, pop the clove in 'a bit under
the ground' and cover over.

We normally get decent bulbs from each clove, I'm sure you will as well.

We do have a lot more top growth on ours, but then they went in last
autumn, so that's to be expected.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Correct Tomato PH?? Jack Melano Edible Gardening 4 18-09-2003 10:32 PM
Need a correct name, please limey Gardening 5 07-07-2003 02:20 AM
Correct ground temperature for Crabgrass preventer application Scott Lawns 3 13-04-2003 10:08 PM
Project is done! Pics inside.-----Duh, wrong links. Correct ones here. Emil Roses 6 31-03-2003 07:56 PM