Old 23-08-2007, 06:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Pond Expansion

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 02:32:07 CST, RG wrote:

filter system. The 2 barrel could work for me, but it's still a lot
of space taken up.

2' X 4' versus 4'X4' using 4 barrels.

Is there any way to get more efficient filtration using up less
volume?

Not "more" efficient. I'm sure there are smaller filters out there that
will do the same job, such as bead filters. It is a space/time thing. The
bigger the less often you're having to mess with it.

You've got 2 barrels (100 gallons) for a 1000 gallon pond, so
you're at a 1:10 filterond ratio. What do you think of filters like
the Oase Filtoclear 3000? It advertises itself for a 1500 gallon pond
(http://www.pondusa.com/filter3w.htm) and only has a filter volume of
3.7 gallons (so a ratio of 1:405). Are they that far off base? It's
expensive but that's a huge space savings for us cityfolk.
--Rob

I can't tell you much of anything about commercial units, other than Vortex
or Nextus, all of which take up as much space as my own. Hopefully someone
else here has experience with the above filter. I just don't see how 4
gallons is going to last long, and every time one cleans one sets back
biological cycling. Be sure you look at gph that can pass thru it, too slow
and you don't get the desired return to the pond. Too fast and the filter
isn't as efficient, or just can't handle it. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us