Old 02-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Lynn Boyd

Default [IBC] ZELKOVA QUESTION

From Bill Valavanis:

I disagree.
In my 40 years of growing bonsai I have learned, from

practical
experience and higher education, that light is NOT necessary

for
dormant bonsai when temperatures are low, (below 30F). I

have numerous

Please note this does NOT apply to areas of the world where

there is
not a sustained period of cold (below 30F). If warm

temperatures occur, then light is necessary.
----------
Bill -
This may contain a hint - because this part of Oregon
can have winters without any sustained freezing - maybe a day
or two with the length of freezing time very short on each of
those days. That has been especially true this year. Hardly
one snowflake.
My Chinese Elm was stored outside under a large canopy,
mulched, but wide open to some very light days and has leafed
out vigorously with no sign of grumpiness, by comparison.
Next year I will put the Zelkova next to the elm and
watch with some curiosity; it would be a very much lighter
position than it had this year and not quite as warm.
Thankyou, everyone, this tree is going to need some
restyling now unless it pops out some prospects for new
growth.
Lynn

Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++