Old 02-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Gary Woods

Default correct depth to plant garlic

Paul Taylor wrote:

My gardeneing reference book says plant garlic at a depth of 1 - 2
inches which I have done. After reading a recent garlic related post
where it mentions plant like onions - It made me think that perhaps I
won't get any garlic as I planted mine 1 - 2 inches from the tip of the
garlic.

That's just fine...a Cornell University (U.S. ag) graduate student did an
experiment on garlic planting depth.

If the next summer is going to be very dry, there is some advantage to
planting 3-4 inches deep, because the bulbs can get more moisture.
If the next summer is going to be very wet, 1-2 inch planting gives less
trouble with fungal diseases.
If you can't tell the future, just till up the bed nicely and stick the
cloves in with your fingers a bit below the surface.

My crystal ball is on loan to some politicians at the moment. Here's
hoping it does them more good than it did me.