Old 25-08-2007, 12:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,austin.gardening,rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Lawn

Dave said:

No pictures available.

Have some kind of foliage that is very similar to St. Augustine. However,
it grows much taller/quicker. Its seems to be a grass type. Blades of it
are sectionalized into 3 sections, vice 2 for St. Augustine. Grows about
twice the rate for the blades/leaves, but, does not seem to spread the
same way. Is localized, not prolific. Color is virtually idential to St.
Augustine.

What is it?

Blades in triplets makes it sound like some sort of sedge grass.
If it were in my lawn (in Michigan) I'd be thinking nut sedge.

How do I get rid of it?

Googling nutsedge, St. Augustine, and lawn popped up this
answer early in the results:

Use imazaquin (Image).

Cannot vouch for it personally, though. I had a section of the
lawn torn up and reseeded when we has street improvements
put in, and I eliminated the nutsedge in that section by hand pulling.

(attributed to Don Marti)