Old 02-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Advice please for balcony plants.

In article 0,
Victoria Clare wrote:
(Jim) wrote in
. com:

Anyway, my questions are about the choice of plants for the 2 ends of
the balcony, and maybe advice of where to buy or locate in central
London. Basically at the far left and right I want some kind of bushy
shrub, not necessarily a flower, but something that is good at
concealing. I already have 2 cubical flower pots about 12" a side
which I hope will be big enough for the shrubs. What I am looking for
is something quite squat, ie little stem/trunk before the branches and
also quite dense leaves for privacy. I guess Ideally I'm thinking of
something almost like an 'afro' haircut , maybe like a potted orange
tree but without the trunk.

I think you want a box bush. Exactly like a green afro on a short stalk,
very easy to care for, and very stylish. buxus sempervirens or
Buxus sempervirens "Suffruticosa" are the latin names to look for.

Certainly possible, but what about bay? It is nearly as hardy as
box, equally prunable, equally decorative, and more useful!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.