Old 02-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Jim

Default Advice please for balcony plants.

Hi-

this is my first visit to uk.rec.gardening, so hello to you all. I am
about to sell my London flat and am thinking of getting some plants
for the balcony to make it look more appealing to prospective buyers
(the balcony has just been redecorated) and also to provide some
privacy for the windows into my flat and the balcony door
(glass-paneled).

It is very narrow and runs along the width of the building front on
the top (4th) floor with a door into my flat at one end. I already
have 4 big stone flower-troughs which I have positioned evenly along
the front balcony wall and my dad (who loves gardening) has
transplanted some plants from his garden which are apparently nice
pink flowers (but nothing at the moment...).

Anyway, my questions are about the choice of plants for the 2 ends of
the balcony, and maybe advice of where to buy or locate in central
London. Basically at the far left and right I want some kind of bushy
shrub, not necessarily a flower, but something that is good at
concealing. I already have 2 cubical flower pots about 12" a side
which I hope will be big enough for the shrubs. What I am looking for
is something quite squat, ie little stem/trunk before the branches and
also quite dense leaves for privacy. I guess Ideally I'm thinking of
something almost like an 'afro' haircut , maybe like a potted orange
tree but without the trunk.

Secondly, at the anterior left and right corners of the balcony I have
some large cast iron 'brackets' which I intend to attach to the
balcony railings with wire for decoration(obviously on the inside so
there is no possibility of it falling off the building). I would like
some kind of trailery/creepery plant which can be housed in a smallish
pot (say 10" high, 10" diameter) which I could trail through the metal
bracket decorations. Again, I think it would look nice, but also the
brackets and the plant should provide some privacy from the corners.

My problem is my dad is currently abroad and unavailable to ask his
advice, and I know practically nothing about gardening.

Could someone please make some suggestions for my 2 plants. Also, I
intend to put my flat on the market as soon as I have finished doing
essential repairs/decoration (maybe a month or so), so would really
like to buy adult plants rather than young ones, so I can just put
them in place and water.

I'm based in Central London. Could anyone suggest a good place to go.
Alternatively, if any of you would like to make a private sale with
me, please email me at . I'm not particularly
interested in any expensive rare plants though - as I have repeated
endlessly, I would like them primarily to look nice and give visual
privacy.

Thanks for any advice
Old 02-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Gaz

First thing I would ask is which way the flat faces. This is important for
shade considerations. Some pants love full sun, others semi shade, and some
can only tolerate evening sunshine. Also what kind of fertiliser will you
use, buy a soil testing kit, or are you just using compost and growmore for
growth and feed. Height is obviously important as a large plant can be used
as a backdrop while others can be small and delicate, Do you want flowers
or ferns and greenery for background colour. For summer growth you cannot
beat bedding plants available form any garden centre,these are small plugs
of plants with minimal roots easy to plant right away and be grown on
annually. these however generally die after the summer season. Go for
perennials which mean they bloom and flower every year. You could also go
for some shrubs which are flowering although these can come in various sizes
from 1 metre to 5 metres high. Go for forsythia = a lovely yellow colour
which blooms every year, ceanothus known as Californian lilac which flowers
twice a year and is evergreen, and some flowering currants or ribes, or
pieris which are multi coloured foliage also known as flaming flowers of the
forest. Hope this helps.

Angela

Old 02-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article 0,
Victoria Clare wrote:
(Jim) wrote in
. com:

Anyway, my questions are about the choice of plants for the 2 ends of
the balcony, and maybe advice of where to buy or locate in central
London. Basically at the far left and right I want some kind of bushy
shrub, not necessarily a flower, but something that is good at
concealing. I already have 2 cubical flower pots about 12" a side
which I hope will be big enough for the shrubs. What I am looking for
is something quite squat, ie little stem/trunk before the branches and
also quite dense leaves for privacy. I guess Ideally I'm thinking of
something almost like an 'afro' haircut , maybe like a potted orange
tree but without the trunk.

I think you want a box bush. Exactly like a green afro on a short stalk,
very easy to care for, and very stylish. buxus sempervirens or
Buxus sempervirens "Suffruticosa" are the latin names to look for.

Certainly possible, but what about bay? It is nearly as hardy as
box, equally prunable, equally decorative, and more useful!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Jim

Victoria Clare wrote in message . 240.10...
I think you want a box bush. Exactly like a green afro on a short stalk,
very easy to care for, and very stylish. buxus sempervirens or
Buxus sempervirens "Suffruticosa" are the latin names to look for.

Buckingham Nurseries have 20-30cm ones for a tenner:

http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.u...uct_38767.html

or http://www.crocus.co.uk/ have slightly bigger ones if you have a bit
more cash to spare. They grow slowly: thus the price.

If the balcony is sunny, a nice bushy lavender might be good.

Lonicera Nitida looks pretty much like box, and is cheaper, but better to
buy from a garden centre as they don't grow so tidily, and a mail order one
might not have the 'ball' effect you want.

Victoria clare

Thank you Victoria. I looked at the Buckingham Nurseries page and yes,
a green balloon or 'Buxus sempervirens' is just the sort of plant I am
looking for, however I note that it has a cross against the
'exposed/windy' criterion. Do you think it would survive at the edge
of a 4th floor balcony in Central London? it does get quite windy up
here. I also looked at the crocus.co.uk site, but have not yet managed
to locate the maturer green balloon bushes that you talked about. Do
you have a link?

The balcony is south facing, so is sunny on occasion

I would consider lavender - do you know a place I could get mature
lavender?

I'm not particularly bothered by the 'ball effect' : more that I
thought a ball would be good at concealing. Maybe Lonicera Nitida
would suffice. Do you know any places that sell that (maturely) ?

Finally, any suggestions on the traling plant? I was even thinking ivy
might be quite good... it will be surrounded on one side by flowers
and the other by whatever shrub I buy... can you buy mature fronds of
ivy (as opposed to having to grow from scratch... remember, my aim is
to get something looking nice asap).

Sorry if I've fired so many questions at you - I just appreciate
advice from someone who obviously knows something about gardening.

Regards.

Jim
Old 03-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Victoria Clare

(Jim) wrote in
om:

I looked at the Buckingham Nurseries page and yes,
a green balloon or 'Buxus sempervirens' is just the sort of plant I am
looking for, however I note that it has a cross against the
'exposed/windy' criterion. Do you think it would survive at the edge
of a 4th floor balcony in Central London? it does get quite windy up
here. I also looked at the crocus.co.uk site, but have not yet managed
to locate the maturer green balloon bushes that you talked about. Do
you have a link?

http://www.crocus.co.uk/findplant/results/?
ContentType=Plant_Card&ClassID=7561&CategoryID=19 - or choose 'plant
search' and then 'topiary'.

I have 4 'ball' buxus sempervirens in pots, and they seem to survive all
the breezes I can throw at them: in fact I'd have said they were almost
unkillable, but YMMV. Of course they are quite round and dense, so they
might be susceptible to blowing over?

Crocus also sell lavenders, but I would want to check how big the plants
are. Any garden centre or plant shop is also likely to have lavenders,
though I'm afraid I can't suggest anywhere in London. (I'm in Cornwall).

Oh, hang on a sec, what about these people?
http://www.capitalgardens.co.uk/acat...n_Centres.html
I know nothing of them but the website though.

Finally, any suggestions on the traling plant? I was even thinking ivy
might be quite good... it will be surrounded on one side by flowers
and the other by whatever shrub I buy... can you buy mature fronds of
ivy (as opposed to having to grow from scratch... remember, my aim is
to get something looking nice asap).

Climber is trickier because of the wind problem. (climbers long stems
are likely to get snapped or battered about...
Ivy is pretty tough, but anything you buy as a mature plant is going to
have more problems than something bought young that develops in that
environment.

I'm not sure what to suggest - maybe someone else can come up with
something?

Victoria

Old 03-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Jim

Victoria-

thanks for all your help and advice. I have one more question about
the 'Buxus sempervirens' (they do seem to be what I was thinking of):
the crocus site states that they need partial shade. Wind problems
aside (I can secure the pot if I think necessary), I am planning to
put these on a London south-facing balcony. Some would say that that
is partial shade enough, but do you think they would survive
south-facing?

Finally, any suggestions on the traling plant? I was even thinking ivy
might be quite good... it will be surrounded on one side by flowers
and the other by whatever shrub I buy... can you buy mature fronds of
ivy (as opposed to having to grow from scratch... remember, my aim is
to get something looking nice asap).

Climber is trickier because of the wind problem. (climbers long stems
are likely to get snapped or battered about...
Ivy is pretty tough, but anything you buy as a mature plant is going to
have more problems than something bought young that develops in that
environment.

Well, I was planning to wrap them around the metal brackets (which are
quite ornate), so hopefully that would protect them somewhat. Also,
they will be sited right between (hopefully) a buxus sempervirens and
a large stone flower trough, so wind should be somewhat subdued there.

Ivy would be fine for the climber. Can you suggest any ivy variants
that look nice (maybe variegated leaves or interesting colour...) ?
Also, can you buy mature ivy?

I'm not sure what to suggest - maybe someone else can come up with
something?

Anyone else? Please share your advice if you have an opinion

Thanks

Victoria

Old 03-04-2003, 09:45 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jim wrote:

thanks for all your help and advice. I have one more question about
the 'Buxus sempervirens' (they do seem to be what I was thinking of):
the crocus site states that they need partial shade. Wind problems
aside (I can secure the pot if I think necessary), I am planning to
put these on a London south-facing balcony. Some would say that that
is partial shade enough, but do you think they would survive
south-facing?

Eh? I can assure you that box does NOT need partial shade, at least
not in this gloomy country! My Sunset (USA) book confirms that the
recommendation for partial shade is for the hot summer areas of the
USA, where the sun is a LOT less anaemic than here! But, even then,
it doesn't mind the sun as such, and the problem is that it dislikes
its roots getting hot and dry.

For a south facing balcony, bay (Laurus nobilis) is a bit safer, on
the grounds that it doesn't mind its roots getting hot and dry as
much. Don't let it dessicate, but otherwise it is fine.

Ivy would be fine for the climber. Can you suggest any ivy variants
that look nice (maybe variegated leaves or interesting colour...) ?
Also, can you buy mature ivy?

You really don't want to bother. Give it some reasonable conditions,
and it will ramp away.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Victoria Clare

(Jim) wrote in news:5ec40f04.0304031115.190a9423
@posting.google.com:

Victoria-

thanks for all your help and advice. I have one more question about
the 'Buxus sempervirens' (they do seem to be what I was thinking of):
the crocus site states that they need partial shade. Wind problems
aside (I can secure the pot if I think necessary), I am planning to
put these on a London south-facing balcony. Some would say that that
is partial shade enough, but do you think they would survive
south-facing?

Yes - I have 4 in unglazed terracotta pots on a south-facing set of steps
against a cream coloured wall in Cornwall. It doesn't get much sunnier and
better drained than that in the UK, and they are thriving.

I also have 5 planted in the ground on the North side of a small stone wall
(so in shade most of the day): they are healthy too, but they don't grow as
fast as the ones on the steps.

Nicks suggestion of a baytree ball is also a good one given the sunny
aspect - I didn't recommend this myself as I've not got one, and wasn't
sure where to suggest you buy one, but if you go to a posh London garden
centre they will almost certainly have a selection for you. ;-)

Ivy would be fine for the climber. Can you suggest any ivy variants
that look nice (maybe variegated leaves or interesting colour...) ?
Also, can you buy mature ivy?

As Nick says, Ivy grows pretty fast. If you can't find a large plant, buy
a small one and water and feed well: it'll become a large plant in 3-4
months! They are all tough - just choose whatever you like the look of.

Victoria