Old 28-08-2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Bonnie Bonnie is offline

Default Frogs hate our pond

I'm not the resident frog expert, she must be busy, but I think it may
be because it's a formal pond. Do you have plants along side the
edges of the pond and in the pond? Frogs like to have places in the
water and near by to hide. They also need a way to climb out of the
water and plants help. Not all frogs stay in the water all the time
either, they may visit in the Spring to lay their eggs and then
depart. There are times when it sounds like I have at least a
million frogs in my pond - the neighbors have yet to complain.
The houses are usually for toads in the garden.
Bonnie
NJ

On Aug 28, 11:53 am, mark Bannister markRem...@ThisINjection-
Moldings.com wrote:
We have a small, formal pond, 700+ gallons. It's block construction and
elevated except on one side it is almost even with a garden bed. Frogs
could easily hop in and out and hide in garden if desired. This is our
third year for the pond. Along the back wall of the pond is a veggie
filter with plenty of frog hiding places and water depth 2-6". The pond
has 10-12 goldfish/shebunkins, four smaller koi and a couple of native
minnows. Also lots of mosquito minnows. No water features but the pond
water cycles 2-3 times an hour so the water is always moving-also a skimmer.
The first year we had green frogs show up in Spring, 2-5 a night, and
they would hang around the edge. I had never seen green frogs in the
area before. They never came back.
Our neighbor's swimming pool is always filled with tree frogs. They
clog the skimmers and are a general nuisance. We relocate them to the
pond all the time. They never stay.
I made a frog house with an old clay pot saucer and hid it next to the
pond in the flowers. Frogs ignore it.
We use no chemicals on the lawn although I'm sure the neighbors do.
So why do frogs hate me?

Mark B.