Old 29-08-2007, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Acer Platanoides Red Leafed Norway Maple

On Aug 29, 4:46?am, renny07
wrote:
Hi,

We've recently just planted an Acer Platanoides Red Leafed Norway Maple
in our garden.

I went to water it the other day and give a look over when i noticed
that quite a few of the leaves had holes in them and have been eaten.

At first i thought it could be slugs as we have a lot of them around
these parts - then i had another look today and noticed a lot of green
mites.I'm not sure what they are,whether they are greenfly or not ?

Does anybody have any ideas of what they are and how to get rid of them
please,they're making a right mess of our lovely tree !

Could be aphids. Usually preditors will discover and eat them, but
you can also spray, Sevin usually works well and is relatively safe as
insecticides go. You can also spray the entire tree and drench the
soil around the tree with a mixture; 1 quart water : 1 Tbls Murphy's
Oil Soap.

The tree you describe is properly called "Crimson King" Norway maple.
I planted one two years ago to replace the one that was much too large
and and much too near my house, so had it removed. The last owners
planted it more than 45 years ago, but only ten feet from the house.
These trees grow very large and this one became a monster.... I hated
to have it removed but it was ruining my roof, and deck, and all I saw
out my windows was a wall of deep magenta. Needless to say I planted
the new one a good hundred feet away. I hope yours has lots of room
to grow... this tree gets tremendous; can easily surpass 100 feet tall
and 100 feet wide. If you have any reservations about it's location
move it now.

This is the one I had removed: http://i19.tinypic.com/4lerk11.jpg

I hated to do it but it couldn't stay there and couldn't be moved.