Old 29-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Registered User

Location: Northants
Unhappy Acer Platanoides Red Leafed Norway Maple

Hi,

We've recently just planted an Acer Platanoides Red Leafed Norway Maple in our garden.

I went to water it the other day and give a look over when i noticed that quite a few of the leaves had holes in them and have been eaten.

At first i thought it could be slugs as we have a lot of them around these parts - then i had another look today and noticed a lot of green mites.I'm not sure what they are,whether they are greenfly or not ?

Does anybody have any ideas of what they are and how to get rid of them please,they're making a right mess of our lovely tree !
Old 29-08-2007, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Acer Platanoides Red Leafed Norway Maple

On Aug 29, 4:46?am, renny07
wrote:
Hi,

We've recently just planted an Acer Platanoides Red Leafed Norway Maple
in our garden.

I went to water it the other day and give a look over when i noticed
that quite a few of the leaves had holes in them and have been eaten.

At first i thought it could be slugs as we have a lot of them around
these parts - then i had another look today and noticed a lot of green
mites.I'm not sure what they are,whether they are greenfly or not ?

Does anybody have any ideas of what they are and how to get rid of them
please,they're making a right mess of our lovely tree !

Could be aphids. Usually preditors will discover and eat them, but
you can also spray, Sevin usually works well and is relatively safe as
insecticides go. You can also spray the entire tree and drench the
soil around the tree with a mixture; 1 quart water : 1 Tbls Murphy's
Oil Soap.

The tree you describe is properly called "Crimson King" Norway maple.
I planted one two years ago to replace the one that was much too large
and and much too near my house, so had it removed. The last owners
planted it more than 45 years ago, but only ten feet from the house.
These trees grow very large and this one became a monster.... I hated
to have it removed but it was ruining my roof, and deck, and all I saw
out my windows was a wall of deep magenta. Needless to say I planted
the new one a good hundred feet away. I hope yours has lots of room
to grow... this tree gets tremendous; can easily surpass 100 feet tall
and 100 feet wide. If you have any reservations about it's location
move it now.

This is the one I had removed: http://i19.tinypic.com/4lerk11.jpg

I hated to do it but it couldn't stay there and couldn't be moved.

Old 31-08-2007, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote in
oups.com:

The tree you describe is properly called "Crimson King"
Norway maple. I planted one two years ago to replace the
one that was much too large and and much too near my house,
so had it removed.

you planted a Norway maple *on purpose*? why on earth would
you replace a weed tree with another weed tree? why not with a
red maple, a sugar maple, a beech or some tree with actual
value?
fortunately my state has wised up and banned the sale &
intentional propagation of Norway maples. more places should
follow suit.
lee
Old 31-08-2007, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

you planted a Norway maple *on purpose*? why on earth would
you replace a weed tree with another weed tree? why not with a
red maple, a sugar maple, a beech or some tree with actual
value?

Uh, the original poster, if I'm guessing right from the address, was
in *Europe*. At least in parts thereof, the Norway maple is native.
See map at http://linnaeus.nrm.se/flora/di/acera/acer/acerplav.jpg (I
don't know if the UK is considered a problem or not for growing this
tree).

Agreed that I would not recommend planting a Norway maple in the
United States (at least not in the mid-atlantic region where it has
escaped cultivation and now lives in wild areas:
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/pubs...antic/acpl.htm although I'm
not sure that advice applies to all areas).

fortunately my state has wised up and banned the sale & intentional
propagation of Norway maples.

Please, say which state. Location does matter in these things.
Old 31-08-2007, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 31, 11:46?am, enigma wrote:
Sheldon wrote groups.com:

The tree you describe is properly called "Crimson King"
Norway maple. I planted one two years ago to replace the
one that was much too large and and much too near my house,
so had it removed.

you planted a Norway maple *on purpose*? why on earth would
you replace a weed tree with another weed tree? why not with a
red maple, a sugar maple, a beech or some tree with actual
value?

I have a red maple, a few in fact, lots of sugar maples, and I
recently planted a 4" caliper American beech. Sugar maple and red
maple are not very valuable, in fact they are the least costly of the
maples found at plant nurseries. Beech trees are nice but not very
valuable... I recently planted a weeping copper leafed beech.

fortunately my state has wised up and banned the sale &
intentional propagation of Norway maples. more places should
follow suit.
lee

You obviously haven't a clue about maple trees, and the various Norway
maples specifically. The Crimson King is a very valuable specimen
tree, the true Norway maple is a very large multi trunked tree and a
mature nicely formed specimen is extremely valuable (I have one of
those, a very large and beautiful one. I have some young ones too).
Perhaps you're confusing the Norway maples with the silver maple,
that's the only popular maple tree that deserves to be banned, but
only within city limits as they are very weak wooded and cause much
peripheral damage during inclement weather, but make very fine habitat
trees (critters love that they drop branches). You must live in a
state of confusion.

This is a true Norway maple, a wonderful shade tree and kids love it
for climbing, many have admired it: http://i16.tinypic.com/4xqhcsk.jpg

My new weeping copper leafed beech... beech are very slow growing,
we'll all be long gone before this is a real tree: http://i2.tinypic.com/4zabvc7.jpg

Old 31-08-2007, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 31, 3:17?pm, Jim Kingdon wrote:

Agreed that I would not recommend planting a Norway maple in the
United States (at least not in the mid-atlantic region where it has
escaped cultivation and now lives in wild areas:http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/pubs...pl.htmalthough I'm
not sure that advice applies to all areas).

The site you're refering to is inaccurate, the red leafed tree in that
photo is not a Norway maple, true Norway maple is not red leafed nor
is it singularly trunked nor is it any more invasive than red maple or
sugar maple, probably much less so due to its inability to reach above
the forest canapy for light because of it's lateral spreading growing
habit. That may be the crimson king version they're depicting, which
is in no way invasive. Actually the various japanese maples are the
most invasive of the maples, especially within the perimeters of
forests as they prefer low light environs.

Old 31-08-2007, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Sheldon expounded:

You obviously haven't a clue about maple trees, and the various Norway
maples specifically.

No, you obviously don't have a clue. But what's new?

The Crimson King is a very valuable specimen
tree, the true Norway maple is a very large multi trunked tree

Norway Maples are not multitrunked.

and a
mature nicely formed specimen is extremely valuable (I have one of
those, a very large and beautiful one. I have some young ones too).

Of course you have young ones. They're invasive as hell. They're
driving the native red maples (which aren't red, by the way, but you
haven't a clue about them, either. Acer rubrum. Look it up).

Perhaps you're confusing the Norway maples with the silver maple,
that's the only popular maple tree that deserves to be banned, but
only within city limits as they are very weak wooded and cause much
peripheral damage during inclement weather, but make very fine habitat
trees (critters love that they drop branches). You must live in a
state of confusion.

It may be weak branched, but it's native. The Norway Maple isn't. The
Norway Maple is invasive
http://www.earthworksboston.org/articles/UWnorway.htm ,
http://www.invasive.org/eastern/species/3002.html , and banned in
Massachusetts and New Hampshire and the status is pending in the other
New England states.

I see plenty of silver maples (Acer saccharinum) in my area and
they're all tall, strong trees that rarely drop branches. The tree in
front of my mother's house is over 250 years old and still standing
nicely. I understand in other parts of the country they don't do as
well, especially in the warmer states. Don't grow them there.

There is a hybrid between the silver and the red maple, Acer x
freemanii, that is a better landscape tree than the Norway in that it
doesn't drop non-native seeds everywhere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Maple
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 01-09-2007, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

"renny07" wrote in message

Hi,

We've recently just planted an Acer Platanoides Red Leafed Norway Maple
in our garden.

I went to water it the other day and give a look over when i noticed
that quite a few of the leaves had holes in them and have been eaten.

Not a serious issue this phenological stage.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

i think you are confusing price with value there. a red or
sugar maple is far more valuable for lumber, for firewood &
for syrup (red maples do produce sap with enough brix to make
decent syrup) than a Norway.
Norways are not even particularly good firewood, and make far
too dense shade to be good landscape trees. they suck water.
they spread seeds far & wide. they crossbreed with sugar
maple, producing an even more useless tree...
beech are a very valuable food source for wild turkey & deer
(and humans).

[...]

no. i know far more about trees & wildlife habitat than you...
but we've been over this before. you're still in denial that
i'm a maple syrup producer.

the state of NH has indeed placed the Norway maple on the
invasive species list & banned the sale & propagation of them
in the state. i'm quite pleased about this, because the stupid
things are the bane of a sugarbush.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by renny07 View Post
Hi,
We've recently just planted an Acer Platanoides Red Leafed Norway Maple in our garden.
After almost four disappointing years I've just dug mine up and burned it! Every spring it promised much and by the end of July it looked pretty sick!

At the same time I also planted an Acer platinoides 'Drummondii' - the one with the creamy-margined leaves - and I can't sing its praises too highly! Hope this helps.
__________________
www.winsfordwalledgarden.com
Large garden-based website. Gardens open daily (April-October). New Gardening forums

Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , Jim Kingdon
writes
you planted a Norway maple *on purpose*? why on earth would
you replace a weed tree with another weed tree? why not with a
red maple, a sugar maple, a beech or some tree with actual
value?

Uh, the original poster, if I'm guessing right from the address, was
in *Europe*. At least in parts thereof, the Norway maple is native.
See map at http://linnaeus.nrm.se/flora/di/acera/acer/acerplav.jpg (I
don't know if the UK is considered a problem or not for growing this
tree).

It's sycamores (Acer pseudoplatanus) that are a problem in the UK (but
they still get Tree Preservation Orders stuck on them). I wouldn't be
surprised to find Acer platanoides becoming a problem; the one down the
street from me produce plenty of seedlings.

For amenity value I think I'd prefer a Silver Maple (Acer saccharinum),
but I reckon that a Norway Maple in flower is quite attractive. (I don't
care for the dark-leaved "black" cultivars.)

Agreed that I would not recommend planting a Norway maple in the
United States (at least not in the mid-atlantic region where it has
escaped cultivation and now lives in wild areas:
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/pubs...antic/acpl.htm although I'm
not sure that advice applies to all areas).

fortunately my state has wised up and banned the sale & intentional
propagation of Norway maples.

Please, say which state. Location does matter in these things.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley