Old 30-08-2007, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James James is offline

Default Apple rootstock propagation

On Aug 30, 1:06 pm, Carruthers wrote:
James,

Thanks for the response. Sorry if I wasn't clear to begin with. You
are right in assuming that I'm looking to propagate the rootstock of
existing trees. The extra information was included to avoid what
seems to be the usual response of: buy rootstock and graft onto it b/c
I am principally looking to replicate the non-fruit characteristics of
the existing trees.

Are there any resources--online or otherwise--that anyone can point me
to with advice/instructions about propagating rootstock?

Thanks.

On Aug 30, 8:55 am, James wrote:

Not sure what you are trying to say. I assume you want to root some
cuttings from those trees. These will after a few years become fruit
bearing trees.

If you truly want to propagate rootstock (grow cuttings from those
trees so you can graft scion onto them), you are saying you think
those trees have excellent root characteristics that you want your
apple tree roots to have. For example you might think those tree
roots do well in poorly drained shallow soil and you want that.
Cuttings will work if those trees have their own roots and were not
grafts.- Hide quoted text -

If those trees are growing on their own roots than you just take
cuttings. If the top was grafted then you might be able to get some
suckers from below the graft union and root them. Girdling the tree
by the base will probably force it to sucker.

Most books on plant propagation will explain rooting cuttings. I
would take hardwood cuttings after the leaves fall.