Old 28-08-2007, 08:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Apple rootstock propagation

Hello All,

I'd like to try growing apple trees on my property in southcentral
Ontario. Conditions are somewhat far from ideal with very shallow
topsoil, moderate to poor drainage, and the shorter Canadian growing
season. Thankfully there are a surprising variety of apple trees
growing in close proximity (but not close enough to harvest) that I
guess would best be described as "escaped" because while none of them
are crabapples and all produce edible fruit none have been tended--or
are even close to each other--in decades if not longer.

I understand that planting seeds will almost guarantee that the new
tree produces different apples from the parent--I'm willing to try
grafting--but will the rootstock be the same? One of the trees that
I'd like to emulate is of an appropriate size, produces a large crop
but has partially blown down and is sending up suckers from the
exposed part of the stump (while the rest still supports the seemingly
vital, but horizontal tree), can these be cut and planted? Are branch
cuttings a better option? I know that the usual advice is to buy
rootstock, plant it and then graft on it but with my less than perfect
conditions I'd rather make use of the genetic material that is
obviously thriving nearby instead of spending years finding the right
commercial rootstock.

My interest is definitely recreational in nature and I'd be quite
happy with a small crop of cider apples or borderline eaters and I'm
in no hurry. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 29-08-2007, 07:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Carruthers wrote:

Hello All,

I'd like to try growing apple trees on my property in southcentral
Ontario. Conditions are somewhat far from ideal with very shallow
topsoil, moderate to poor drainage, and the shorter Canadian growing
season. Thankfully there are a surprising variety of apple trees
growing in close proximity (but not close enough to harvest) that I
guess would best be described as "escaped" because while none of them
are crabapples and all produce edible fruit none have been tended--or
are even close to each other--in decades if not longer.

I understand that planting seeds will almost guarantee that the new
tree produces different apples from the parent

The seeds of apples will not reproduce from seeds. It's a genetic thing.

--I'm willing to try
grafting--but will the rootstock be the same?

Yes, grafting is the only way to get predictable results. It matters not
what
rootstock you graft onto as concerns the resultant variety of apple.
Grafting
will faithfully reproduce the apple you have grafted onto any acceptable
rootstock.

One of the trees that
I'd like to emulate is of an appropriate size, produces a large crop
but has partially blown down and is sending up suckers from the
exposed part of the stump (while the rest still supports the seemingly
vital, but horizontal tree), can these be cut and planted?

Are you trying to grow rootstocks, or propagate a certain variety
of apple? If you are trying to just copy the tree's rootstock, you can
use these suckers from the stump to grow them.

Are branch
cuttings a better option? I know that the usual advice is to buy
rootstock, plant it and then graft on it but with my less than perfect
conditions I'd rather make use of the genetic material that is
obviously thriving nearby instead of spending years finding the right
commercial rootstock.

You will have to wait until your rootstock is developed, whereas buying
rootstock will be immediately available for grafting. If you feel that
using
an existing tree works better for you, go ahead and use them.

My interest is definitely recreational in nature and I'd be quite
happy with a small crop of cider apples or borderline eaters and I'm
in no hurry. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think you have answered you own question, although I wonder why you
bother putting work into growing borderline fruit. I'm still not sure if
you
are intending to just grow apples from these rootstocks without grafting.
Apples that come out of rootstocks are often not even eatable or useful for
good
cider. Many early farmers did little grafting, but the results were less
than acceptable.
They had no choice, or were ignorant about grafting. Grafting is not
rocket science,
and I would advice you to learn how to do it.

Sherwin D.

Thanks in advance.

Old 30-08-2007, 01:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Not sure what you are trying to say. I assume you want to root some
cuttings from those trees. These will after a few years become fruit
bearing trees.

If you truly want to propagate rootstock (grow cuttings from those
trees so you can graft scion onto them), you are saying you think
those trees have excellent root characteristics that you want your
apple tree roots to have. For example you might think those tree
roots do well in poorly drained shallow soil and you want that.
Cuttings will work if those trees have their own roots and were not
grafts.

Old 30-08-2007, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

James,

Thanks for the response. Sorry if I wasn't clear to begin with. You
are right in assuming that I'm looking to propagate the rootstock of
existing trees. The extra information was included to avoid what
seems to be the usual response of: buy rootstock and graft onto it b/c
I am principally looking to replicate the non-fruit characteristics of
the existing trees.

Are there any resources--online or otherwise--that anyone can point me
to with advice/instructions about propagating rootstock?

Thanks.

Old 30-08-2007, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Aug 30, 8:55 am, James wrote:

Not sure what you are trying to say. I assume you want to root some
cuttings from those trees. These will after a few years become fruit
bearing trees.

If you truly want to propagate rootstock (grow cuttings from those
trees so you can graft scion onto them), you are saying you think
those trees have excellent root characteristics that you want your
apple tree roots to have. For example you might think those tree
roots do well in poorly drained shallow soil and you want that.
Cuttings will work if those trees have their own roots and were not
grafts.- Hide quoted text -

If those trees are growing on their own roots than you just take
cuttings. If the top was grafted then you might be able to get some
suckers from below the graft union and root them. Girdling the tree
by the base will probably force it to sucker.

Most books on plant propagation will explain rooting cuttings. I
would take hardwood cuttings after the leaves fall.