Old 30-08-2007, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim S Jim S is offline

Default Hydrangeas in frozen north?

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:50:13 +0100, Sacha wrote:

How do they get on over wintering in e.g. Gateshead? Could someone with
personal experience please let me know.

I'm in North Tyneside and there are hydrangeas all over the place. My dwarf
one has been flowering since April on buds formed last year. Where I live
it is difficult to keep them blue.
It is among 10 hardy fuchsias which overwinter. I am nearer the sea than
Gateshead so slightly milder.
The frozen north is not so frozen anymore.
I lost an expensive acer japonica, but suspect that was a dry spell and
cold winds.
You will find Gateshead quite dry compared to anywhere West of the
Pennines.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK