Old 30-08-2007, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Charles[_1_] Charles[_1_] is offline

Default Water features in the garden

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:21:55 -0700, Nanzi wrote:

On Aug 29, 5:21 pm, Charles wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:11:01 +0100, timbertags

wrote:

Do you have any in your garden, and do you think they are worth the
hundreds of pounds that they can sell for?

I have a pond, have about $2,000 US in it, it's worth it to me. I
guess it is partly how much those pounds are worth to you. If it
meant starving my children, then no.

We too have a koi pond. It is about 2000 gals and we dug it ourselves
with shovels, pick axes and lots of sweat and hurting backs. We have
less than 1K in it, except for fish, and probably another $500 over
the years in those. Most of the expensive ones we bought at koi shows
died, and the Walmart fish have lived. A neighbor came over one
morning with a 5 gal bucket of goldfish about 6" long each and asked
if we would overwinter them as his pond had all but emptied from a
leak. 3 years later they are still here and beautiful, and he doesn't
want them back. And Praise God, none of them were sick or
contaminated our pond. Nor have they reproduced. They add a lot of red
to the pond and are beautiful, especially the fancy finned ones.
This same neighbor put a metal crane welded together out of various
tools in our yard lastnight with a note saying he was homeless and
could we take care of him. He is really neat, and will go next to the
pond.
We spend many happy tranquil hours there, it was a good labor of love
to build it.
Nan

Half the cost of mine was the flagstone area around it. I got the
flagstone, started laying it out, Realized the limits of my talents
and got some professionals to do that part of the project.

I sometimes know my limits, it's difficult to keep track because I
have so many.