Old 29-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Registered User

Default Water features in the garden

Do you have any in your garden, and do you think they are worth the hundreds of pounds that they can sell for?
Old 29-08-2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:11:01 +0100, timbertags
wrote:

Do you have any in your garden, and do you think they are worth the
hundreds of pounds that they can sell for?

I have a pond, have about $2,000 US in it, it's worth it to me. I
guess it is partly how much those pounds are worth to you. If it
meant starving my children, then no.
Old 30-08-2007, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Do you have any in your garden, and do you think they are worth the
hundreds of pounds that they can sell for?

I have a pond, have about $2,000 US in it, it's worth it to me. I
guess it is partly how much those pounds are worth to you. If it
meant starving my children, then no.

We too have a koi pond. It is about 2000 gals and we dug it ourselves
with shovels, pick axes and lots of sweat and hurting backs. We have
less than 1K in it, except for fish, and probably another $500 over
the years in those. Most of the expensive ones we bought at koi shows
died, and the Walmart fish have lived. A neighbor came over one
morning with a 5 gal bucket of goldfish about 6" long each and asked
if we would overwinter them as his pond had all but emptied from a
leak. 3 years later they are still here and beautiful, and he doesn't
want them back. And Praise God, none of them were sick or
contaminated our pond. Nor have they reproduced. They add a lot of red
to the pond and are beautiful, especially the fancy finned ones.
This same neighbor put a metal crane welded together out of various
tools in our yard lastnight with a note saying he was homeless and
could we take care of him. He is really neat, and will go next to the
pond.
We spend many happy tranquil hours there, it was a good labor of love
to build it.
Nan

Old 30-08-2007, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Half the cost of mine was the flagstone area around it. I got the
flagstone, started laying it out, Realized the limits of my talents
and got some professionals to do that part of the project.

I sometimes know my limits, it's difficult to keep track because I
have so many.
Old 31-08-2007, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

My koi pond is the centerpiece of my teeny tiny back yard. we just
had friends over last night for dinner by the pond. a week ago we had
a party for other friends "by the pond". at night, we go out and sit
by the koi pond which has a light in the water and watch the koi swim
slowly in front of the light. my pond is for my koi. I only have one
water lily in it. the veggie filter contains plants and flowers.
http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/2005/2005.html

a water feature can cost almost nothing or can be very expensive. the
cheapest water features are preformed ponds, maybe 100 bucks, a nice
pump maybe 50. A 5 buck tub buried in the ground with a small pump
could provide the splash of a water feature. with no fish a small pond
will bring all kinds of wildlife to the pond like dragonflies, frogs,
toads. birds come to drink.

Ingrid