Old 31-08-2007, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John McMillan John McMillan is offline

Default choice of glyphospate or amonium sulphamate?

In article . com,
La Puce wrote:

On 31 Aug, 09:51, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
I agree with the digging :-)

Make it a time to remember - 10 years ago when we moved to the house
we're in now we had 12 privets, 3m tall, all along our front garden,
dividing us with the neighbours. I called a handful of friends and
made dinner, got lots of wine and beers, made a bonfire and they all
helped with the digging and the removal of those dusty, 'orrible, old
privets. We had lots of fun ;o)

Yes, I got rid of privet hedges that way too. But there are easily
recognized "trunks" every so often and if you hack the branches off them
then sever the roots and heave them out, you've done the job.
Not so with bamboo. There are underground rhizomes waiting to
regrow, even if you sever them.
Now, do we know what type of bamboo we're talking about? The most
problematic are things like Sasa Palmata and Sasaella Ramosa, and
I've heard problems with pseudosasa japonica (though it won't grow
well for me). The tribe can be divided between "runners' and 'clumpers".
There's a chapter in Mike Bell's book on Bamboos
about removal techniques. I'd try to combine glyphosate with
exhausting the rhizomes. Sasa palmata (and some others) are
shiny on the upper surfaces of the leaves, maybe you need to paint
it on the undersurfaces. They don't like fire much so lighting
a bonfire on top will be detrimental.