Old 30-08-2007, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default choice of glyphospate or amonium sulphamate?

which would be the most effective chemical to terminate a rampant bamboo
plant please; glyphospate or ammonium sulphamate.?

Are there any particular properties (secondary to which is the most
affective killing agent) which might be brought into consideration in
choosing between them? Thanks

Old 30-08-2007, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

which would be the most effective chemical to terminate a rampant
bamboo plant please; glyphospate or ammonium sulphamate.?

Are there any particular properties (secondary to which is the most
affective killing agent) which might be brought into consideration in
choosing between them? Thanks

Neither will do a lot of good. They won't get the rhysomes (sp?) and it will
be back. If that's what you want, then glyphosate will work (slowly).

SBK and a lot of patience, or hire a microdigger for the weekend, or get
digging. Expect to dig long and wide.

My mate's bamboo took us two weekends to get rid of, and made quite a nice
fence when we'd finished. However, it was recently, and I won't be surprised
if and when it makes its reappearance :-)

Old 30-08-2007, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Uncle Marvo" wrote:

this in , I, Marvo, say :

, I, Marvo, say :

which would be the most effective chemical to terminate a rampant
bamboo plant please; glyphospate or ammonium sulphamate.?

Are there any particular properties (secondary to which is the most
affective killing agent) which might be brought into consideration in
choosing between them? Thanks

Neither will do a lot of good. They won't get the rhysomes (sp?) and
it will be back. If that's what you want, then glyphosate will work
(slowly).
SBK and a lot of patience, or hire a microdigger for the weekend, or
get digging. Expect to dig long and wide.

My mate's bamboo took us two weekends to get rid of, and made quite a
nice fence when we'd finished. However, it was recently, and I won't
be surprised if and when it makes its reappearance :-)

R H I Z O M E S

Is what I meant. I think. Biology, never could get the hang of it.

I'd use Glyphosate since it will translocate in the plant from the
leaves to the rhizomes - and I'm not sure that ammonium sulfamate
does. Anyway the bamboo has to be active. Best would have been
earlier in the year when it was growing. Maybe cut it to the
ground and treat the foliage when it reappears in spring. Or lots of
digging.
Old 31-08-2007, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

this in , I, Marvo, say
:

In article ,
"Uncle Marvo" wrote:

wrote this in
, I, Marvo, say :

, I, Marvo, say :

[...]

I'm not sure that it will, certainly not in much of a hurry. We tried that
for several months and it comes back. Also it doesn't take to the glyphosate
anywhere near as well as broadleafed plants.

Anyway the bamboo has to be active. Best would have been
earlier in the year when it was growing. Maybe cut it to the
ground and treat the foliage when it reappears in spring. Or lots of
digging.

I agree with the digging :-)

Old 31-08-2007, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31 Aug, 09:51, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
I agree with the digging :-)

Make it a time to remember - 10 years ago when we moved to the house
we're in now we had 12 privets, 3m tall, all along our front garden,
dividing us with the neighbours. I called a handful of friends and
made dinner, got lots of wine and beers, made a bonfire and they all
helped with the digging and the removal of those dusty, 'orrible, old
privets. We had lots of fun ;o)

Old 31-08-2007, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
La Puce wrote:

On 31 Aug, 09:51, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
I agree with the digging :-)

Make it a time to remember - 10 years ago when we moved to the house
we're in now we had 12 privets, 3m tall, all along our front garden,
dividing us with the neighbours. I called a handful of friends and
made dinner, got lots of wine and beers, made a bonfire and they all
helped with the digging and the removal of those dusty, 'orrible, old
privets. We had lots of fun ;o)

Yes, I got rid of privet hedges that way too. But there are easily
recognized "trunks" every so often and if you hack the branches off them
then sever the roots and heave them out, you've done the job.
Not so with bamboo. There are underground rhizomes waiting to
regrow, even if you sever them.
Now, do we know what type of bamboo we're talking about? The most
problematic are things like Sasa Palmata and Sasaella Ramosa, and
I've heard problems with pseudosasa japonica (though it won't grow
well for me). The tribe can be divided between "runners' and 'clumpers".
There's a chapter in Mike Bell's book on Bamboos
about removal techniques. I'd try to combine glyphosate with
exhausting the rhizomes. Sasa palmata (and some others) are
shiny on the upper surfaces of the leaves, maybe you need to paint
it on the undersurfaces. They don't like fire much so lighting
a bonfire on top will be detrimental.