Old 31-08-2007, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Acer Platanoides Red Leafed Norway Maple

On Aug 31, 11:46?am, enigma wrote:
Sheldon wrote groups.com:

The tree you describe is properly called "Crimson King"
Norway maple. I planted one two years ago to replace the
one that was much too large and and much too near my house,
so had it removed.

you planted a Norway maple *on purpose*? why on earth would
you replace a weed tree with another weed tree? why not with a
red maple, a sugar maple, a beech or some tree with actual
value?

I have a red maple, a few in fact, lots of sugar maples, and I
recently planted a 4" caliper American beech. Sugar maple and red
maple are not very valuable, in fact they are the least costly of the
maples found at plant nurseries. Beech trees are nice but not very
valuable... I recently planted a weeping copper leafed beech.

fortunately my state has wised up and banned the sale &
intentional propagation of Norway maples. more places should
follow suit.
lee

You obviously haven't a clue about maple trees, and the various Norway
maples specifically. The Crimson King is a very valuable specimen
tree, the true Norway maple is a very large multi trunked tree and a
mature nicely formed specimen is extremely valuable (I have one of
those, a very large and beautiful one. I have some young ones too).
Perhaps you're confusing the Norway maples with the silver maple,
that's the only popular maple tree that deserves to be banned, but
only within city limits as they are very weak wooded and cause much
peripheral damage during inclement weather, but make very fine habitat
trees (critters love that they drop branches). You must live in a
state of confusion.

This is a true Norway maple, a wonderful shade tree and kids love it
for climbing, many have admired it: http://i16.tinypic.com/4xqhcsk.jpg

My new weeping copper leafed beech... beech are very slow growing,
we'll all be long gone before this is a real tree: http://i2.tinypic.com/4zabvc7.jpg