Old 31-08-2007, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Acer Platanoides Red Leafed Norway Maple

Sheldon expounded:

You obviously haven't a clue about maple trees, and the various Norway
maples specifically.

No, you obviously don't have a clue. But what's new?

The Crimson King is a very valuable specimen
tree, the true Norway maple is a very large multi trunked tree

Norway Maples are not multitrunked.

and a
mature nicely formed specimen is extremely valuable (I have one of
those, a very large and beautiful one. I have some young ones too).

Of course you have young ones. They're invasive as hell. They're
driving the native red maples (which aren't red, by the way, but you
haven't a clue about them, either. Acer rubrum. Look it up).

Perhaps you're confusing the Norway maples with the silver maple,
that's the only popular maple tree that deserves to be banned, but
only within city limits as they are very weak wooded and cause much
peripheral damage during inclement weather, but make very fine habitat
trees (critters love that they drop branches). You must live in a
state of confusion.

It may be weak branched, but it's native. The Norway Maple isn't. The
Norway Maple is invasive
http://www.earthworksboston.org/articles/UWnorway.htm ,
http://www.invasive.org/eastern/species/3002.html , and banned in
Massachusetts and New Hampshire and the status is pending in the other
New England states.

I see plenty of silver maples (Acer saccharinum) in my area and
they're all tall, strong trees that rarely drop branches. The tree in
front of my mother's house is over 250 years old and still standing
nicely. I understand in other parts of the country they don't do as
well, especially in the warmer states. Don't grow them there.

There is a hybrid between the silver and the red maple, Acer x
freemanii, that is a better landscape tree than the Norway in that it
doesn't drop non-native seeds everywhere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Maple
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts