Old 01-09-2007, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Help please - poisoned by squash?

In article ,
cordowr wrote:

This year a seedling appeared in the veg plot which looked like a
squash. I assumed the seed must have come from the compost where I had
put the previous years marrow innards after we ate the rest. I cut the
first fruit last night. It had the colour of a marrow but a bit 'dumpy'
about a foot long and a little tapered.

Cut open the flesh looked marrow like and it was duly cooked for a meal
last night. It tasted absolutely foul so my wife and myself only ate
only the tiniest piece each. Today we are both feeling ill and have
been purging since the early hours.

For the last few weeks the leaves have had a white mould growing on
them and I've simply been cutting off the leaves and excess plant and
putting in the compost bin.

My question which I hope someone can advise me about is:
Is it the mould which has made the fruits toxic or is it possibly a
toxic squash which found it's way here by maybe bird seed and is it
safe to use the compost?

This is my first post so please forgive if I'm rambling.
Thanks
Alex

It may have been a wild gourd.
They are not edible.

Watch it. You may want to take some of the leaves and one of the
"fruits" to the emergency room with you.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.