Old 01-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Registered User

Location: Cornwall
Default Help please - poisoned by squash?

This year a seedling appeared in the veg plot which looked like a squash. I assumed the seed must have come from the compost where I had put the previous years marrow innards after we ate the rest. I cut the first fruit last night. It had the colour of a marrow but a bit 'dumpy' about a foot long and a little tapered.

Cut open the flesh looked marrow like and it was duly cooked for a meal last night. It tasted absolutely foul so my wife and myself only ate only the tiniest piece each. Today we are both feeling ill and have been purging since the early hours.

For the last few weeks the leaves have had a white mould growing on them and I've simply been cutting off the leaves and excess plant and putting in the compost bin.

My question which I hope someone can advise me about is:
Is it the mould which has made the fruits toxic or is it possibly a toxic squash which found it's way here by maybe bird seed and is it safe to use the compost?

This is my first post so please forgive if I'm rambling.
Thanks
Alex
Old 01-09-2007, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
cordowr wrote:

[...]

It may have been a wild gourd.
They are not edible.

Watch it. You may want to take some of the leaves and one of the
"fruits" to the emergency room with you.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
cordowr wrote:

Omelet;744329 Wrote:
In article ,
cordowr
wrote:
-
[...]

Thanks Om

Fortunately it tasted so disgusting we only ate the tiniest piece each
and have now recovered - well almost. I amazed so little of it had such
a drastic effect. Another lesson learned!

All the Best
Alex

So long as you are ok now!

Baby wild gourds can resemble squashes, but tend to be a bit toxic.
Once they mature, they develop hard shells.

Be careful! :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 1, 5:29 am, cordowr wrote:
[...]

Just to add to what others have said, please do not throw mouldy fruit
or leaves into your mulch... the mould will thrive! Throw it in the
rubbish bin or burn it.

You may well have eaten a decorative squash.... In the future, when
confronted by white mould, try spraying camomile tea on the infected
plants - organic and effective natural remedy!

bon appetite,
Outre

Old 08-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Registered User

Location: Cornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Sep 1, 5:29 am, cordowr wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice Outre
It may well encourage me to drink more camomile tea instead of the caffeinated stuff too!

All the Best