Old 02-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] Meeting programs

Jim, et al: In July 2000 BCI distributed its International Bonsai
Teachers Register. Then BCI vice president and education chair,
Lindsay Bebb of Australia, coordinated the development and
publication of this project. There had been previous versions from
time to time, but as you point out, it is difficult to keep any such
reference current.
BCI is in the process of revising this registry of bonsai
teachers. While we do this we are working to make the standards for
nomination, inclusion, and maintenance more clear. We invite your
ideas and feedback.
We will be addressing this (and much, much more!!) at the BCI
board of directors spring meeting on 11 April at MABS 2003 in East
Hanover, NJ. Unfortunately, I leave early Friday morning for
Shanghai, China and will be going directly from there to this board
meeting, so I personally will not be able to review your suggestions
prior to the meeting. However, I invite you to send them anyway to
me with a cc to Linda Brant, BCI Executive Director, and Dave
Radlinski, BCI Education Committee Chair. We will review all ideas
and plan to respond to most.
This is a project that by definition and design must
continually evolve, so there is always room for more input.
Alan Walker
BCI President
Jim Lewis wrote:
Marty Haber wrote:
I just received the next six program speakers from the Long

Island Bonsai Society program chair. Here they a

On the subject of speakers . . . Marty told me (privately) that
the program chair of his club coordinates with other area clubs
on available speakers, etc. That's a good idea.

The Bonsai Societies of Florida do something similar every fall
for the upcoming year, in an attempt to make it worthwhile for
experts to come to this oddly-shaped,
hard-to-get-around-in-economically state. (My club is do darned
cheap (or something), however, that if the "expert" isn't named
Ben Oki they don't seem to be interested. We turned down all the
folks on the Florida list this year. We had Colin a year or so
ago, and virtually no one came. :-( )

Anyway, is there some central point that lists available
speakers, etc.? We tried doing something on the gallery, but
there were comparatively few participants. We have an
experimental "Calendar" offering on the gallery now, but it's
empty.

How would we -- how _could_ we establish a central repository of
people who are available to give programs, demos or workshops,
their rates and fees, their specialties, and the area to which
they are willing to travel?

Is it something we could do on the IBC web page? The NBF in its
"umbrella" role? The WBFF? BCI? The IBC is International, the
NBF is North American, NBFF and BCI are International. They all
have differing official and unofficial "roles".

I'm sure that we all know the half dozen or dozen or so folks who
show up virtually everywhere every year, but I know there are
experts in every state who are largely unheralded (for whatever
reason). How do we make a list like this happen -- AND STAY
CURRENT?

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL -- Bonsai List
manager

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++