Old 02-09-2007, 07:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gareee© Gareee© is offline

Default Had a Box turtle pop in for a visit!

"Dean A. Markley" wrote in message
Gareee© wrote:
We looked out at our pond yesterday, and noticed a lot of disturbance on
the water.. and a box turtle probably 12" square had decided to go for a
dip.

The spring fed stream running through our property dried up from the bad
drought this year, and we've seen a few of these guys around over the
last few years we've lived here, so I'm not surprised he popped in for a
drink, and swim to cool off.

No sign of him today, so he prolly wandered off.

Box turtles don't get that big. They don't swim either, being wholly
terrestial.

My wife goggled him with his pic, and found he was a box turtle of some
sort. She also used to raise them as well, so I go by her identification.

He was in a hour or so, and then left, and wandered off god knows where, and
we've seen them in our yard on and off since we moved here, and there is a
nearby stream. Most likely it's some species that likes both land and water.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)