Old 02-09-2007, 09:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
KC[_2_] KC[_2_] is offline

Default Soil from leaves

On Sep 2, 3:20 pm, "Brynk" wrote:
I cook my own mulch & soil from leaves

I've use the older brew as topsoil for lawn areas.
The base soil is called timber soil

I just tested an area I topped and seeded last spring to determine what
additives to apply. I'm getting a lot of brown spots. I spread a
fertilizer of 29-3-4 about 2 weeks ago to help w/ the nitrogen.

ph = 7.0-7.5
Nitrogen = Low
Phosphorous = Low
Potassium = High

Wouldn't soil from leaves be highly acidic?

No. Depends on the plant they come from, but I would not think
"highly" acidic. You would probably get more acid from the high
nitrogen fertilizer than from the leaves.

I believe the test shows mild alkalinity, right?

Right, if the results of your test are accurate. Are you sending your
soil off for testing or using a DIY test kit? If DIY, results can
vary quite a bit.

KC