Old 02-09-2007, 09:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Soil from leaves

I cook my own mulch & soil from leaves

I've use the older brew as topsoil for lawn areas.
The base soil is called timber soil

I just tested an area I topped and seeded last spring to determine what
additives to apply. I'm getting a lot of brown spots. I spread a
fertilizer of 29-3-4 about 2 weeks ago to help w/ the nitrogen.

ph = 7.0-7.5
Nitrogen = Low
Phosphorous = Low
Potassium = High

Wouldn't soil from leaves be highly acidic? I believe the test shows mild
alkalinity, right?

Thanks,
Barry

Old 02-09-2007, 09:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 2, 3:20 pm, "Brynk" wrote:
I cook my own mulch & soil from leaves

I've use the older brew as topsoil for lawn areas.
The base soil is called timber soil

I just tested an area I topped and seeded last spring to determine what
additives to apply. I'm getting a lot of brown spots. I spread a
fertilizer of 29-3-4 about 2 weeks ago to help w/ the nitrogen.

ph = 7.0-7.5
Nitrogen = Low
Phosphorous = Low
Potassium = High

Wouldn't soil from leaves be highly acidic?

No. Depends on the plant they come from, but I would not think
"highly" acidic. You would probably get more acid from the high
nitrogen fertilizer than from the leaves.

I believe the test shows mild alkalinity, right?

Right, if the results of your test are accurate. Are you sending your
soil off for testing or using a DIY test kit? If DIY, results can
vary quite a bit.

KC

Old 02-09-2007, 09:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"KC" wrote in message
oups.com...

I believe the test shows mild alkalinity, right?

Right, if the results of your test are accurate. Are you sending your
soil off for testing or using a DIY test kit? If DIY, results can
vary quite a bit.

KC

It's a DIY kit and it's been around for a "few" years g

Old 04-09-2007, 04:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 2, 3:45 pm, "Brynk" wrote:
"KC" wrote in message

oups.com...

I believe the test shows mild alkalinity, right?

Right, if the results of your test are accurate. Are you sending your
soil off for testing or using a DIY test kit? If DIY, results can
vary quite a bit.

KC

It's a DIY kit and it's been around for a "few" years g

I once participated in an experiment where we compared hi end lab
analyzers against various DIY kits using the same soil samples. DIY
kits averaged .5 variation from the lab equipment, with the worse case
being 1.5 different. So DIY kits can give you a ballpark idea of your
soil, but don't rely on them for accuracy. BTW, many labs will not
test for nitrogen levels unless you specify the test. That's because
nitrogen levels are so erratic because of so many factors.

KC

Old 04-09-2007, 05:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Thanks KC
I was sure the test would show high acid and was set to add lime
Now I'm not sure what to add.

I would like to reseed ASAP, but other than the 19-3-4 fertilizer spread a
couple weeks ago, I'm not sure what to add before seeding

This area was seeded this spring and developed a nice lawn til about a month
ago
We've had an abundance of rain all spring and summer in northern Illinois
The ground beneath the topsoil is sandy soil and stone and perks quite fast
so it's not a "too wet" situation.

Now it's 50% browned out.

Barry

"KC" wrote in message