Old 03-09-2007, 06:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Had a Box turtle pop in for a visit!

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 12:51:06 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

Box turtles don't get that big. They don't swim either, being wholly
terrestial.

My wife goggled him with his pic, and found he was a box turtle of some
sort. She also used to raise them as well, so I go by her identification.

He was in a hour or so, and then left, and wandered off god knows where, and
we've seen them in our yard on and off since we moved here, and there is a
nearby stream. Most likely it's some species that likes both land and water.

Common names on a global community group bring out some interesting
thoughts.

My DIL's family calls painted turtles box turtles and they only live
about 175 miles North of me on a lake. (Water turtle)
http://tinyurl.com/23gz34

Living closer to the Florida line and not so near a lake or body of
water we see these as box turtles. (Terrestrial) Don't know why they
aren't called tortoises, but folks here been calling them turtles all
my life.
http://tinyurl.com/8bl3u
Note under "Fun Facts" the box includes a hinge in the lower part of
the shell.

We also call a local (Southeastern US) tortoise that burrows in the
ground a gopher, or gopher turtle. It may not be correct to the rest
of the world, but that is what we do. We also call the local passion
fruit plant a maypop, because it may pop up anywhere.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb