Old 05-09-2007, 04:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default Pond edging ideas - Aestetics check

"Hal" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 20:40:42 CST, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

So I was considering using some 4" timbers held in place with rebar. I
would
then wrap the liner over the timber and nail a strip on top of the timber
hold the liner. But I thought this might put too much pressure on the
liner.
I could still cover the timber with my capstones if my construction
supervisor objected. The timbers are PT BTW, but they would be outside of
the liner and I would use some fish safe wood for my nailing strip. I also
thought I might attach my lights to the top of the wood.

I had a pond built of PT lawn timbers and EPDM liner that lasted 8 or
10 years. It was well constructed, but settled. I jacked it up and
re-leveled it a couple times, but it continued to leak in the corners
and in lesser amounts that I couldn't see until I took the timbers out
and replaced them with retaining wall stones. I prefer stone and
concrete in future construction. Removing The lag screwed wood frame
pond wasn't as easy as building it.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Yeah, I took out my old retaining wall (only 2 high) recently and I never
did get all the rebar out. I had to slice it up and take it out piece by
piece.

Thanks for the insight, I'm kinda leaning away from the wood frame due to
the extra work. It would not be square (6 or 7 sides), so I'd have to make
several lap joints to get the support I want with one row of timber. At the
rate I'm progressing with my clay, it will be Decemeber before I'm done
digging.