Old 05-09-2007, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default How to pickle shallots?

"Compo" wrote ...
I have now harvested my shallots and wonder if anyone can adise on the
best way to pickle them, please?

I have tried the Mrs. Beeton's recipe and found it ok but I would like
to try other recipes too.

We just peel and place in clean sealable jars, sprinkle a good heaped
tablespoon of pickle spice in together with a dried chilli or two (optional
for heat), and top up with good quality malt vinegar. Seal and leave for 6
weeks or more if possible, in our experience they will stay crisp and good
for a couple of years or more.
We do not use salt as we try to keep that to a minimum in our diet.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden