Old 05-09-2007, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to pickle shallots?

I have now harvested my shallots and wonder if anyone can adise on the
best way to pickle them, please?

I have tried the Mrs. Beeton's recipe and found it ok but I would like
to try other recipes too.

Regards,
Compo.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Sep, 11:19, Compo wrote:
I have now harvested my shallots and wonder if anyone can adise on the
best way to pickle them, please?
I have tried the Mrs. Beeton's recipe and found it ok but I would like
to try other recipes too.

rec.food.cooking group will be really pleased to help you I'm sure.
It's pickle season afterall )

Old 05-09-2007, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Compo" wrote ...
I have now harvested my shallots and wonder if anyone can adise on the
best way to pickle them, please?

I have tried the Mrs. Beeton's recipe and found it ok but I would like
to try other recipes too.

We just peel and place in clean sealable jars, sprinkle a good heaped
tablespoon of pickle spice in together with a dried chilli or two (optional
for heat), and top up with good quality malt vinegar. Seal and leave for 6
weeks or more if possible, in our experience they will stay crisp and good
for a couple of years or more.
We do not use salt as we try to keep that to a minimum in our diet.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-09-2007, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Sep, 15:17, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Compo" wrote ...I have now harvested my shallots and wonder if anyone can adise on the
best way to pickle them, please?

\snip\
We do not use salt as we try to keep that to a minimum in our diet.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Interesting....Mrs Beeton has one salting them for a while before
boiling in milk to clarify and then spicing in vinegar. Your approach
seems a much quicker and easier option.

Regards,
Compo.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Compo" wrote ...
I have now harvested my shallots and wonder if anyone can adise on the
best way to pickle them, please?

I have tried the Mrs. Beeton's recipe and found it ok but I would like
to try other recipes too.

We just peel and place in clean sealable jars, sprinkle a good heaped
tablespoon of pickle spice in together with a dried chilli or two
(optional for heat), and top up with good quality malt vinegar. Seal and
leave for 6 weeks or more if possible, in our experience they will stay
crisp and good for a couple of years or more.
We do not use salt as we try to keep that to a minimum in our diet.
--

I've done it that way but Mum always boiled the vinegar + spices first (then
cooled before using). I don't know why people salt or brine their

Old 06-09-2007, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

graham wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

Being a lazy person I simply follow Bob's way but just add pickling
vinegar from Tesco, tastes fine to us.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
graham wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Can you still buy ready-spiced pickling vinegar in the UK? Pickling
spices

here in Western Canada are usually loaded with dill for pickling cukes
(there is a large number of people of Polish/Ukranian heritage here).
Graham

Being a lazy person I simply follow Bob's way but just add pickling
vinegar from Tesco, tastes fine to us.

If you were lazy, you'd be buying them!{:-)
Graham