Old 06-09-2007, 11:26 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha View Post
I think the problem is probably that the trees are taking all the water and
nutrients from the ground. You could try hardy geraniums there such as G.
Ann Folkard or G. Jolly Bee, if you can make a bit of a bed for them and
keep mulching it each year. Lamium (deadnettle) might work and you could
plant bulbs, too and ivies.
Other things to try:
Epimediums, Vinca (periwinkle), Hypericum (Rose of Sharon/St John's Wort), Japanese anemone.

Many garden buddleias are not as self-sufficient and rampant as the self-seeding varieties that love growing in railway ballast. But I wouldn't advise deliberately planting those except in desperation.

My neighbours on both sides have leylandii or similar hedges along part of the boundary. I have installed 50cm deep bamboo rhizome barrier in some areas where I want to water my plant, not his hedge.