Old 05-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Registered User

Question Which Plants under Established Trees please?

Hello, I'm living in Lincolnshire (south)with tall mature trees overhanging the fence at end of garden. It doesn't get shady however, until about 3pm during summer, so the area does get plenty of Sun. I'm at a loss though, as whats best to grow successfully there. I planted a rose last year and it's looking very sad, as is the Buddlia - which I've always thought was a tough-as-old-boots plant. Any help much appreciated,

Ange
Old 05-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Registered User

Hi Sacha, thanks for your reply - was beginning to think no one knew the answer!!

Yes, trees are deciduous, and it's funny you suggested the Perennial Geraniums, as I already have one in that spot and was just pointing out to Pete earlier this evening that maybe I should put them in!! I have a few more clumps of them too, absolutely invaluable I say.

Ange
Old 06-09-2007, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Which Plants under Established Trees please?

On 6/9/07 04:39, in article , "Anne
Jackson" wrote:

The message from AngeTheUnsure
contains these words:
Sacha;745389 Wrote:
"AngeTheUnsure"
wrote:

Hello, I'm living in Lincolnshire (south)with tall mature trees
overhanging the fence at end of garden. It doesn't get shady
however, until about 3pm during summer, so the area does get plenty
of Sun.
I'm at a loss though, as whats best to grow successfully there.
I planted a rose last year and it's looking very sad, as is the
Buddlia - which I've always thought was a tough-as-old-boots plant.
Any help much appreciated,

I think the problem is probably that the trees are taking all the
water and nutrients from the ground. You could try hardy geraniums
there such as G. Ann Folkard or G. Jolly Bee, if you can make a bit
of a bed for them and keep mulching it each year. Lamium (deadnettle)
might work and you could plant bulbs, too and ivies. Are the trees
evergreen or deciduous because that makes a difference to what will
thrive underneath them. Evergreen trees dry out the ground and made
it somewhat acidic.

Hi Sacha, thanks for your reply - was beginning to think no one knew
the answer!!

No-one knew the answer? It only took Sacha an hour to reply!! You were
very lucky to get such a quick response...didn't anyone in 'gardenbanter'
know what would work for you?

Yes, trees are deciduous, and it's funny you suggested the Perennial
Geraniums, as I already have one in that spot and was just pointing out
to Pete earlier this evening that maybe I should put them in!! I have a
few more clumps of them too, absolutely invaluable I say.

I've just bought some mini cyclamen to plant under some trees in my garden
They seem to do well for everyone I know who has planted them under trees
and large shrubs...

We have some flowering now under a big old Atlantic Cedar and they're so
pretty. I'm sure they'd work, as well as bluebells (English of course)
snowdrops, daffs etc.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha View Post
I think the problem is probably that the trees are taking all the water and
nutrients from the ground. You could try hardy geraniums there such as G.
Ann Folkard or G. Jolly Bee, if you can make a bit of a bed for them and
keep mulching it each year. Lamium (deadnettle) might work and you could
plant bulbs, too and ivies.
Other things to try:
Epimediums, Vinca (periwinkle), Hypericum (Rose of Sharon/St John's Wort), Japanese anemone.

Many garden buddleias are not as self-sufficient and rampant as the self-seeding varieties that love growing in railway ballast. But I wouldn't advise deliberately planting those except in desperation.

My neighbours on both sides have leylandii or similar hedges along part of the boundary. I have installed 50cm deep bamboo rhizome barrier in some areas where I want to water my plant, not his hedge.