Old 07-09-2007, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Citrus medica 'Buddha's Hand'

"Sacha" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Great excitement down here - Ray has successfully propagated about half
dozen of these from the small plant I gave him in March *and* the parent
plant has lots of new fruits on it in varying sizes. They aren't used
for
culinary purposes much - apart from candying the peel - but are used to
scent houses in Japan and China, apparently. The perfume of the fruit
is
outstanding.

What a co-incidence. I was just discussing this citrus today with a
friend.

Do you have it? I think it's grown in Australia, probably more as a
curiosity than anything else but once ours produces enough fruits,

I don't personally have it but I know it is available here. The other
citrus we were discussing was the Native Limes which are becoming a big item
here of late as are a lot of other bush tucker plants.
http://www.abc.net.au/landline/conte...4/s1057751.htm

I hope to
keep them in various parts of the house. Bob's right that they're not
very
fast growing, though Ray's has probably put on about 4" and has provided a
fair bit of cutting material. He's going to keep those as propagators,
too
until we get a good stock of them. The straightforward Citrus medica we
took to Devon County Show was a show-stopper this year. We arranged it
beside a table with a bottle of gin, a tumbler and some tonic water. ;-)
This is a pic I took of Ray (and assistants) with the tree. It's
astonishing that such a baby tree can produce several enormous fruits.
http://i12.tinypic.com/4pn3tdv.jpg[/IMG]

For some reason it won't show. I can just see a lot of fruit and the very
top of what I assume is Ray's head